Hello friends of Paulina Cocina! Today we bring you an ideal recipe to eat with guests at home, or to entertain the family. Chicken thighs with beer, an easy and accessible recipethat does not need much preparation and that is enjoyed a lot.
The flavor of the beer is delicious with different meats, and with chicken it is no exception, it is tender, tasty and juicy, what more could you ask for?! Here we leave you some tips to prepare it and, of course, there is a step-by-step recipe to make it perfect. Let’s cook!
Beer chicken to delight everyone
He pollo it is one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen and there are many ways to cook it. One of the most popular and well-known recipes is that of chicken to the beer. This preparation combines chicken meat with the flavors of beer, vegetables and spices, creating an exquisite mix, even for the most demanding palates.
He beer stewed chicken It is basically the chicken, which in this case we are going to use the thighs, cooked in a beer-based sauce, which gives it an intense and characteristic flavor. The preparation also includes other ingredients such as onion, garlic, carrot, celery and herbs, which are important to complement the flavor of the dish.
Chicken goes well with beer
Beer is the main ingredient of the sauce, which will give the dish a unique flavor and is complemented by spices, vegetables and chicken meat. In addition, the beer helps to tenderize the meat, giving it a juicy and tender texture.
Be careful with the amounts: It is important not to overdo it with the beer, to avoid leaving it with a bitter taste and to let the alcohol evaporate before covering the saucepan in which it is cooked. The choice of beer is left to the taste of whoever makes the recipe.
It must be taken into account that some are more bitter than others and that is transferred to the chicken.
Where does the tradition of beer chicken come from?
Beer chicken is a recipe of European origin, which has become popular all over the world. It is believed to have originated in Germany, from the tradition of the beer festival, which was born in the 19th century.
In Germany, a country with a deep brewing tradition, this drink is enjoyed in many ways, and in the gastronomy local is a fundamental ingredient since many dishes are prepared based on this drink.
Beer chicken so you don’t go hungry
However, it is also said that the consumption of chicken became popular, especially during World War II, due to the scarcity of other meats. The pairing of chicken with beer was one of the many ways of cooking with what was available, given that situation of lack of food.
In addition, beer was never lacking among the troops that fought in the war, because it was used as an element of motivation, so that the soldiers could go through the situation of being on the battlefield for so long.
Tips for preparing the best beer chicken thighs
Preparing a delicious beer chicken is not difficult, but it is important to follow some tips so that the thighs remain juicy and with an exquisite flavor:
- choose good ingredients: Use good quality, fresh chicken thighs, and also a good beer. If the beer is of poor quality, that will impregnate the flavor of the dish.
- Don’t skimp on the vegetables: The vegetables that we use in the sauce will add flavor to the chicken, so it is important that it has a good base of vegetables, such as celery, bell pepper (pepper), carrot, onion and garlic.
- Pre-sealing: Before cooking the chicken in beer, it is important to brown the thighs with a little oil. This step not only adds flavor to the chicken, but also helps seal in moisture inside the meat.
- Cooking time: The cooking time depends on the size of the chicken thighs but, in general, it is recommended to cook them for about 30-40 minutes over low heat, so that they remain tender and juicy.
- do not stir too much: when the thighs are cooking together with the other ingredients, it is important not to constantly stir. Let the chicken cook at its own pace and move it only when necessary so that it does not fall apart.
- Repose: Once the beer chicken thighs are ready, it is important to let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute and the meat to settle.
Beer Stewed Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Yield: 3 servings
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (or peeled and crushed tomatoes for salsa)
- 1 can of black beer (or the one you prefer)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon of ground chili
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make chicken thighs in beer step by step
- In a saucepan, heat a little olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the chicken thighs on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Withdraw and reserve.
- In that same saucepan, removing the excess oil from the sear, add the chopped onion, the chopped garlic cloves, the peeled and sliced carrots, the cut bell pepper and the chopped celery. Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and let cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, add the black beer and the chicken broth. Add the thyme, ground chili pepper and paprika and season to taste. Cook for a few minutes so that the alcohol evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan, and cook for 40 minutes or until thighs are cooked through. If you are looking for a thicker consistency for the sauce, do the last 10 minutes of cooking with the pan barely covered.
- Once ready, let them rest for a while before serving. Enjoy them!