Welcome back to Paulina Cocina! On this occasion we bring you a very easy recipe and very practical, to do in a few minutes and always have a ready meal at hand: elbow salad.
Las salads with noodles They are super rich and colorful, and we love them because even though they have a base of ingredients, you can add a lot of options that we like and we can customize them each time we prepare them.
In this note we give you ideas to add to the elbow salad, variants to the ingredients with vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free alternativessome tips to prepare it (although it is more than easy) and, of course, a simple recipe to do at home.
About the elbow salad
The elbow salad is a classic and versatile dish which is enjoyed in many parts of the world. Your combination of pasta, vegetables and dressing makes it a refreshing and delicious option, perfect for any occasion, especially on warm days.
Elbow salad is a very popular dish in gastronomy, especially in countries like Mexico, the United States and Spain. It is usually served as Garrison at barbecues, cookouts and family gatherings.
Any short pasta saladlike the elbow salad, is an easy alternative to solve a fresh food with the ingredients that are on hand at home, since you can try different combinations.
7 combinations for the cold elbow salad recipe
- Elbow salad with ham: For lovers of smoky flavors, adding a few pieces of ham to the salad is an irresistible option.
- For a vegetarian version, vegetable proteins such as chickpeas or black beans can be added.
- The traditional mayonnaise can be replaced by plain yogurt with a touch of lemon and curry.
- Diced marinated tofu can also be incorporated to add protein and texture to the salad.
- Additional vegetables such as cherry tomatoes and some olives add a fresh and tasty touch.
- For a vegan alternative, traditional mayonnaise can be substituted with a vegan mayonnaise or other plant-based dressings, such as a mix of avocado, lemon, and cilantro.
- Gluten-free option: traditional elbows can be replaced by rice noodles or legume noodles, for people intolerant to gluten.
5 tips to make this salad
- cook the al dente pasta so that it has a firm texture and does not become mushy when mixed with the other ingredients.
- Use a good variety of fresh vegetables to add color and texture to the salad.
- Gradually add the dressing and mix well, avoiding making the salad too soggy.
- For prevent elbow salad from drying outadd a little more dressing just before serving.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour so that the salad is fresh and the flavors integrated.
When to eat an elbow salad with mayonnaise
- Main course: The elbow salad can be served as single dish in a light meal. Pair it with a serving of protein, such as grilled chicken, salmon, or tofu, for nutritional balance.
- At barbecues and barbecues: The elbow salad is a accompaniment perfect for barbecues and barbecues. It combines very well with roast meats, or hamburgers. It is a fresh option to counteract the intense flavors of the meats.
- At family gatherings and picnics: Es easy to carry and can be enjoyed cold. In addition, it is an option that everyone usually likes, from the youngest to the adults.
- In takeaway meals: You can make a big bowl of elbow salad and take it to work, a picnic, or anywhere a meal is needed. practical and tasty. It is only important to keep it refrigerated until the moment of consumption.
- As a garnish: Elbow salad can also be served as a garnish in main dishes, such as fried chicken, meat or fish. It provides a creamy and refreshing texture that complements other flavors and textures very well.
Elbow salad recipe with simple mayonnaise
Yield: 4 to 6 servings,
Preparation time: 30 minutes (not counting the refrigerated time before serving)
- 250 g of coditos
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (if it is homemade better)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 carrot cooked and cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cucumber in cubes
- Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tomates cherry
- Roasted peppers
- chopped celery
- Dry tomatoes
- Gouda cheese pieces
- shredded chicken breast
- Smoked salmon
- toasted croutons
- Toasted seed mix (sesame, sunflower)
- Nuts: walnuts, chopped almonds or peanuts
- filleted mushrooms
- cooked lentils
How to make a vegetarian elbow salad with mayonnaise
- Cook the elbows in salted water al dente. Then, strain and rinse with cold water to cut the cooking
- In a large bowl mix the cooked elbows, carrot, red pepper, and cucumber.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the tablespoon of mustard and add to the salad. Integrate with the rest of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour, approximately, so that the flavors blend.
- Serve cold with chopped parsley on top.