Hello beautiful ones! Welcome to Paulina Cocina! Today we are going to make you feel like you are touching the clouds with just a spoonful of this Spanish dessert that breaks it!: bacon from heaven. Don’t you think the name is wonderful? We love creativity in the names of certain dishes and desserts, and there is no doubt that there was a great use of imagination for this one! But what is this dessert really?
In this note I am going to tell you what the sky Bacon, why it is called that, how to prepare it, tips for making homemade tocino de cielo and not failing in the attempt. In the end obviously, I leave you a complete and easy recipe to experience it and try this delight. Let’s cook!
About the bacon of heaven
He bacon from heaven It is a traditional dessert with deep roots in Spanish cuisine, it is a dessert similar to flan, but it only has egg yolks and sugar. Its soft and silky consistency is a dream for sweet lovers.
– Important clarification 👀: Although its name may lead to confusion, this dessert It does not have bacon among its ingredients.
Whether for its sublime texture, its intense flavor or its history rooted in tradition, this dessert is a true star on the dessert table of Spanish cuisine.
The origin and history of bacon from heaven
He dessert bacon from heaven It is originally from the region of Andalusia, in southern Spain.
Some stories say that this dessert originated in Spanish convents during the 16th century. The nuns used the egg whites to make products such as hosts, and to avoid waste, the yolks were used to create this delicious delicacy.
Other theories take us to the time of Arab domination in the Iberian Peninsula, which lasted from the 8th century to the 15th century. During that period, the Arabs influenced the region’s gastronomy, introducing ingredients such as sugar, nuts and other sweet flavors into Spanish cuisine. It is believed that the sky Bacon may have been influenced by those Arab influences.
Over time, the recipe for Bacon from heaven It was perfected, and became a symbol of traditional Spanish gastronomy.
Why is it called bacon from heaven?
Although its name is quite curious, the dessert bacon from heaven It has no relation to the bacon that we know in savory dishes. The denomination “bacon” It comes from the appearance of the dessert, due to its soft and unctuous texture.
On the other hand, “cielo” It adds up to highlight the heavenly deliciousness you feel when trying this dessert. This combination of curious terms is a reflection of the cultural and historical richness of Spanish gastronomy.
What happens when homemade bacon doesn’t set?
Sometimes, lovers of this dessert face a dilemma: the sky Bacon home It doesn’t set as it should. The key to a perfect texture lies in the balance between ingredients and cooking time.
Too much water or excessive heat can be the culprit of a bacon that does not reach its fullness. But we must not lose hope, since in each attempt lies the opportunity to perfect the technique.
Bacon from heaven vs. flan: A duel of desserts
Compare the sky Bacon with the homemade flan It’s like facing two giants in the dessert ring. Although they share certain ingredients, such as egg and sugar, their characteristics and textures are different.
While flan requires a dairy element, such as milk, to reach its typical consistency, which is rather gelatinous; he Bacon from heaven It holds up with a much firmer texture and a more concentrated flavor. Ultimately, the choice between these two desserts is a matter of personal taste.
5 tips for a perfect heavenly bacon
- Precise proportions: Accurately measuring ingredients is essential to obtain the desired texture.
- Constant shake: Patience is key. Integrating the yolks with the syrup is a process that requires dedication to prevent the yolks from cooking.
- Suitable utensils: Using silicone or aluminum molds can make it easier to unmold and preserve the shape of the dessert.
- Gradual cooling: Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating so that the flavors develop fully and the texture is maintained. Then put it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Accompaniments: A crema chantilly soft, without too much sugar, or some fresh fruits, can contrast very well with the sweetness of the sky Bacon.
The must-haves of this recipe
To prepare sky Bacon Three basic ingredients are needed: sugar, water and egg yolks. The magic happens when these elements are mixed little by little in precise proportions, with patience and dedication.
Traditionally, the Bacon from heaven It is made by mixing the egg yolks with a syrup thick. Then, the mixture is poured into a flan pan or into individual molds with a caramel base, and cook in a bain-marie. The result is a sweet, creamy and delicate dessert.
It is important to keep in mind that the process to make the heavenly bacon recipeboth separating the yolks from the whites, as well as their integration with the syrup, cooking and subsequent cooling, is essential to achieve the silky texture and firm consistency that characterizes the dessert.
Everything noted and very clear! Now let’s see how to make this delicious dessert.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Bacon from heaven recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooling time: 4 hours
- 10 egg yolks
- 450g sugar
- 250 ml of water
How to make heavenly bacon step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180º. For the caramel, place 100 g of sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, with two tablespoons of water. When the sugar begins to turn golden, stir to unify. Pour the caramel onto a large flannel pan or onto individual molds.
- Mix the rest of the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil until you obtain a thick, ball-like syrup.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate container and slowly add the syrup, in a thread, while continuing to beat.
- Strain the mixture in case there are any lumps. Then pour into the molds or into the flannel with caramel.
- Bake in a baking dish with a little water in a double boiler at 180°C for 30-40 minutes, until firm to the touch. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before unmolding and serving.