Hi, how are you! Welcome to Paulina Cocina. Who didn’t have the ability to cook and called a Chinese food restaurant craving a Three Delights Rice, or something similar. Even if you think you don’t know what we’re talking about, you’ll realize that it is a more common recipe than you think.
The truth is that when we order food over the phone, we are not always happy with what they bring us, and on the other hand, this dish is so easy to prepare that it is best to make the homemade versionwhich sure, sure, is richer!
That is why in this note we are going to tell you everything you need to know about the recipe of rice three delicaciesthis gift that Asian cuisine brings us, influenced by Western gastronomy.
Three delights on rice
He rice three delicaciesknown in some places as Chinese rice, Cantonese rice, chaufa rice or chaw fan, It is a classic dish that can be found in the vast majority of Chinese food restaurants, although the variety of its ingredients combines elements from various culinary cultures.
Although his name “rice three delicacies“, evokes the idea of three main ingredientsusually includes a range of components that enrich the experience every bite. This dish is a perfect mix of rice cooked al dente and a selection of vegetables and proteins that intertwine to create a symphony of flavors and colors.
The keys to this preparation
The preparation of the rice recipe three delicacies It is a very simple process. It begins with cooking the rice, which must be delicate but firm to sustain the flavors that will accompany it.
Then, mastery comes into play when combining ingredients such as pieces of ham, shrimp or prawns, peas (peas) tender and an egg omelette (omelet) cut into fine threads.
The combination of these elements ends up coming together in the wok or deep frying panwhere they are seasoned with soy sauce and other seasonings that may vary from recipe to recipe.
History and invention of rice three delicacies
Although the precise origin of rice three delicacies is shrouded in mystery, it is believed to have originated in the Chinese-Cantonese cuisine. As flavors traveled along trade routes, this dish found its way to Chinese restaurants in the West, where it became popular and adapted to local palates.
There are different hypotheses about What are the “three delights”. One says that it can refer to the combination of the three characteristics of the ingredients that make it up: carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
Another has to do with the trilogy of flavors: sweet, salty and umami, which are experienced in every bite. Finally, the one that mentions the ingredients that are present in almost all versions of this rice, coconut shrimp, ham and egg.
The taste of three homemade rice delicacies
He rice three delicacies home It is characterized by its mix of textures and flavors, and the ingredients play a fundamental role in creating this delicious experience.
Apart from rice, ham and shrimp, may include peas, carrots, bell peppers or pieces of green onion. The dish is seasoned with soy sauce, which adds depth and can be enhanced with sesame oil, for an aromatic touch.
The final result is a dish balanced in flavors, colors and textures, a true pleasure for all the senses.
4 tips to prepare rice 3 delights
- Perfect rice: Use long, fine grain rice so that it integrates well with the rest of the ingredients without invading the flavors. It is important that it is ready, to prevent it from overcooking during sautéing.
- The egg: Make the egg omelet or omelet, making sure it is tender and does not burn. Cut it into uniform strips to distribute the flavor evenly.
- Heat control: Use a wok or deep frying pan over high heat for a quick and uniform stir-fry, stirring constantly so that the ingredients do not burn.
- Season carefully: Be careful, the flavor of soy sauce is powerful and salty. Add it little by little, adjusting the amount according to personal tastes.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
Watch a related recipe on YouTube (click here)
Rice recipe 3 homemade delights
Yield: 3 servings
Preparation time: 40 minutes (approximately)
- 250 g jasmine rice (fine long grain)
- 100 g cooked ham
- 100 g of prawns or shrimp
- 1 2-egg omelet (egg omelette)
- 50 g peas
- 1 small bell pepper (pepper) cut into cubes
- 2 green onions
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make rice three delicacies in 5 steps
- Wash the rice under cold water and cook with three cups of water, al dente. Let cool.
- Cut the ham into cubes and the shrimp or prawns into not very small pieces. Also cut the omelet into thin strips and the green onions into slices.
- Heat a wok or deep frying pan over high heat, add vegetable oil and sauté the shrimp until pink. Remove and reserve.
- In the same wok, with a little more oil (if necessary), sauté the cut bell pepper until it softens a little. Add the cooked rice, the pieces of ham, the cut omelette, the peas and the shrimp again. Stir well to combine.
- Drizzle with soy sauce and a teaspoon of sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste (be careful that soy sauce is salty). Add the chopped green onions and stir again. Remove and serve hot.