Hello dear friends of Paulina Cocina! Today we are transported to beautiful Mexico, to enjoy a dish full of flavor: Seafood soup.
And what makes this seafood soup recipe be so special? In this note we are going to discover it, travel a little through its history and origin, and find the best ingredients for this soup that has its tradition on the Mexican coasts.
Additionally, and as always, we leave you a seafood broth recipe with the detail of what they will need to prepare it, and the step by step so that it is perfect. Let’s cook!
About the seafood broth
He seafood soup is a Mexican preparation that consists of a soup or broth made with a variety of fresh seafood, such as shrimp, clams, mussels, and squid.
It is cooked in an aromatic broth, usually based on fish or seafood, and is seasoned with spices and seasonings. The result is a dish with a deep and rich flavor, which reflects the freshness and character of the sea. This broth is usually served hot and can be accompanied with white rice, tortillas or bread.
The versatility of this seafood consommé makes it a perfect option for both a special meal and an informal dinner with friends. Either as a starter or main dish.
Origin and tradition of Mexican seafood soup
He seafood soup It has deep roots in traditional Mexican cuisine and is an iconic dish from the country’s coasts. Its origin dates back to the ancient culinary traditions of fishing communities.
The mexican seafood soup It has become an emblem of the generosity of the ocean and the richness of Mexico’s gastronomic culture. One of the most traditional is the Veracruz broth, whose recipe has a mixture of indigenous, Spanish and African influences, which are reflected in its preparation.
He seafood soup In Mexican culture it has a very important role in the celebration of Candlemas Day, every February 2. While in other regions it is common to prepare tamales to commemorate this holiday, in coastal areas, it is typical to prepare the seafood soup recipe.
What can’t be missing in a good seafood soup
The magic of this soup lies in the quality of its ingredients. To prepare the seafood broth recipe, we need fresh seafood, such as shrimp, clams, steamed mussels, squid and white fish, which are washed and cleaned well before being used in the broth.
Another fundamental element is a good broth, which can be a fish or seafood broth.which is enriched with a previous sauce made with onion, garlic and tomato, to which fresh herbs such as cilantro are then added.
Spices and seasonings add the final touch of flavor. Spices such as paprika, cumin, bay leaf and chili powder add depth and flavor to the seafood soup.
5 ideal accompaniments for Mexican seafood soup
He seafood soup It’s delicious on its own, but can also be served with a variety of side dishes. Some options may be:
- Palta (avocado): The avocado cubes provide creaminess and a mild flavor that complements the intensity of the soup.
- Cream cheese: The cheese melts with the heat of the soup and gives it flavor and creaminess.
- Toast or fresh bread: The crusty bread is perfect for dipping into the broth and enjoying its flavor.
- White rice: A bowl of white rice is ideal for making the soup more hearty and complete.
- Hot sauce: A homemade hot sauce can add an extra touch of flavor and heat to the soup.
5 tips for the seafood broth recipe
- The quality of the seafood is essential. Always choose fresh ingredients from a trusted store. Spoiled seafood can be very dangerous.
- Do not overcook seafood as it can become rubbery and tough.
- Experimenting with different spices and seasonings allows you to innovate and find very interesting flavor combinations.
- Adding a spoonful of cream cheese or a splash of heavy cream before serving is very good and adds consistency to the broth.
- If possible and if you have time, preparing homemade fish or seafood broth can make a big difference in the final flavor of the soup.
Versatile uses of seafood broth
He seafood soupIn addition to being delicious to enjoy as a soup, it is a versatile ingredient that can be used in various ways in the kitchen. For example, it can be used as a base for paellas and risottos.
It can also be used as a sauce for pasta or fish, letting it reduce and adding a little flour or cornstarch to thicken.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Seafood broth recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 500 grams of shrimp
- 500 grams of clams
- 500 grams of mussels
- 300 grams of squid, cut into rings
- 250 grams of white fish, cut into pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup pitted green olives (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 4 cups of fish broth
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro and lemon slices to decorate
How to make seafood broth step by step
- In a large pot, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, peppers and tomatoes. Cook until tender.
- Add the spices (cumin, paprika and chili powder) and mix well.
- Add the fish broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes so the flavors mix.
- Add the seafood (shrimp, clams, mussels, squid and fish) and cook until cooked, approximately 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the olives, in halves or whole.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges.