Hello friends of Paulina Cocina, Today I want to give you an idea to do a tasty dish of lentils with vegetables and little things that make us happy. And for today’s recipe we are going to look for some key ingredients that help us add color, flavor and texture to our plate, to make it not just another stew.
This is not like any other recipe with lentils, this is a rich and creamy stew, which does not fail when we want something that warms our guts without having to cook too much and that also gives us enough to feed several mouths. Not to mention that we can also save and have stew in the freezer for the craving.
Is that possible? Of course! Shall we prepare it?
About the lentils with vegetables
Lentils are, without a doubt, an excellent option to eat in different ways. Being a very versatile legume, can be adapted in different recipes, since in addition to adding flavor to the dish, it is very nutritious. Lentils are chosen by many people who do not eat meat, because they work very well as animal protein replacement.
In addition to being a fairly cheap option, lentils are very profitable. so the best thing to do is to take advantage of the moment you are going to make them and prepare a good amount and then freeze in portions, so as to have on hand at any time. You will see that preparing it will not take us too long and with few ingredients we will obtain a easy and tasty stew.
Soaking yes or no, is it necessary?
It’s a great question, especially when we feel like eating lentils, but we forgot to soak them the night before. Because in this blog we know that planning does not always go hand in hand with the whim of the moment.
Luckily, today the market is on our side and already offers us lentils that need very little soaking time, and with a quick soak it can be solved. So for those cases, it is more practical to have this type of lentil in the cupboard.
In general, the brown or brown lentils they are famous for having a shorter cooking time compared to other varieties of lentils such as green lentils or red lentils. This is because they have a thinner and more tender skin, This way they absorb more quickly the water from soaking and cooking.
How long do you have to soak the lentils?
The ideal is to plan this meal with a little time and leave the blessed lentils to soak overnight or between 4 and 6 hours.
Nerd data: This previous soaking step is very important because it helps the lentils to eliminate substances that can be difficult to digest and also to soften them before cooking. In this way we reduce the time that we will have to cook them.
How do I soak lentils?
There is not much science behind it, soaking consists of simply put the lentils in drinking water until completely covered. After a few hours, it is likely that some will rise to the surface, attention, those that begin to float in the water must be discarded.
After soaking and before cooking it is better to drain them and give them a quick rinse to remove any type of impurity that may have remained.
How to calculate the amounts of lentils per person?
For some lentils with stewed vegetables, it is calculated between ½ and ¾ cup per person, which is equivalent to 100/150 g per portion. In any case, some issues must be taken into account when calculating ingredients:
- The amount of lentils varies according to the other ingredients that we incorporate into the stew. If we use a lot of vegetables or if rice is added, we will need less.
- DO NOT forget that the lentils grow during cooking.
If you hung up on the amount and made a lot, you can always make other preparations like these delicious lentil burgers (I’ll leave you the recipe on video here!)
Do you have any doubts that they are the best ingredient you can have in your kitchen?
When do you eat lentils with stewed vegetables?
Stewed lentils with vegetables or lentil stew are a classic recipe for colder days. The scent emanating from a Lents’ stew during cooking it perfumes the whole house and is an ideal preparation to keep the body warm for a long time.
Usually this dish is prepared with meat or sausagesbut the alternative of making it only with vegetables is much lighter and with less fat.
a nutritious dish
As we mentioned before, lentils, like many other legumes, are a great source of protein, fiber, and vitamins, making them always a healthy option, and it is important to include them in your diet. You just have to take into account the ingredients that will accompany them. If we only use vegetables, and we add little oil in the preparation, preferably olive oil, it will surely be a light stew with little caloric intake.
Most common ways to cook lentils with vegetables
Lentils with vegetables can be prepared in different ways:
- The classic: making a sauce with onion, garlic and pepper, and then adding the raw lentils, the liquid and the rest of the vegetables. Everything cooks for about an hour.
- The fast: in a pressure cooker adding all the ingredients and cooking for around 20-25 minutes. The previous stir-fry is optional.
- Combined: Cook the lentils beforehand until they are tender but firm. The sauce is made and the carrots, potatoes (potatoes), sweet potatoes or the vegetables that you want to incorporate are added. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the cooked lentils and cook for a few minutes until all the flavors are impregnated.
The seasonings of this preparation
Seasonings are key when it comes to flavoring lentils, so there are some that are classic and go hand in hand with this preparation, and others that can be added to the taste of the cook. Lentils with stewed vegetables go very well with a touch of sweet paprika and the infallible sheet of laurel. You can also put a pinch of cumin, curry y black pepper. When serving, a fresh leaf remains very good, which can be parsley o cilantro.
How to prepare lentils with vegetables in a traditional way
- Yield: 6/8 servings.
- Preparation time: 1 hour.
- 2 cups of lentils (previously soaked).
- 1 large chopped onion.
- 2 minced garlic cloves.
- 1 chopped red pepper.
- 1 chopped green pepper.
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes.
- 1 large potato (potato) peeled and cut into cubes.
- 2 tomatoes without skin, cut into cubes.
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika.
- 1 bay leaf.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Olive oil.
- 8 cups of water or broth.
- Fresh parsley.
How to prepare lentils with vegetables, step by step
- In a saucepan, heat a little olive oil and add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the cut peppers and cook in the oil for a few more minutes.
- Add the cut carrots and potatoes and stir with the rest of the vegetables, cook for a few minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the lentils, the water or broth, the sweet paprika and the bay leaf. Salt and pepper and mix everything gently.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a minimum. Cover the pan and cook the lentils for approximately 45/50 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
- It is important to stir occasionally and pay attention to the liquid during cooking, to ensure that the lentils are always covered and do not stick to the bottom.
- Once the lentils are cooked, season with salt and pepper if necessary. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
- Serve hot and with some parsley leaves on top.