Welcome to a new installment of Paulina Cocina! In this opportunity Let’s talk about the tlalpeño brotha delicious soup that more than soup is a dish, because it has everything rich and nutritious that it must have to be a main meal.
Colourful, tasty, with just the right touch of spiciness and very powerful, enough to fill you with energy! A typical Mexican recipe If you did not have the opportunity to try it, I will give you all the information so that you can prepare it at home.
About the tlalpeño broth
Tlalpeño broth is a hot spoon dish, very traditional in Mexican gastronomy. It is a very comforting and nutritious soup, ideal to warm the body during cold days. It has different versions of the ingredients that make it up, but it basically consists of a chicken broth, with vegetables, which is generally served accompanied by avocado (avocado), cheese, and lemon.
The broth of origin in dispute
There are different versions as to the origin of this typical Mexican dish. One of those versions, and perhaps the strongest, attributes his birthplace to the Tlalpan neighborhood, south of Mexico City. Tlalpan is a pre-Hispanic historic neighborhood, and its name comes from the Nahuatl word “Tlalpanco”that means “place on the mainland”.
In this neighborhood, a very rich and varied gastronomy was developed that combined local ingredients with the flavors and culinary techniques of the Spanish colonizers.. The tlalpeño broth is representative of that combination of ingredientsand it has become an iconic recipe from Mexico City, which is eaten in almost the entire country.
However, there are also two places that proclaim themselves as the place of origin of the Tlalpeño broth, on the one hand, Jalisco, more precisely in the town of Talpa de Allende; and on the other, the state of Veracruz.
lots of color and flavor
the tlalpeño broth It is prepared with chicken broth, shredded chicken, chickpeas, carrots, and tomato (tomato). In addition, it usually has onion, garlic, epazote and chipotle chili peppers to give it flavor and a touch of spiciness. The ingredients are cooked until soft and cooked through, and then served hot.
The tlalpeño broth is a very nutritious dish thanks to the ingredients it contains. It is a balanced dish that provides vitamins from the vegetables and proteins from the chicken. Some versions also include rice that adds texture and consistency to the soup.
where to savor it
Tlalpeño broth can be found in a variety of places, from street food stalls to fine-dining restaurants. In the markets of Mexico City, especially in the Tlalpan market, there are stalls that sell traditionally prepared Tlalpeño broth. It is also served in small restaurants and inns in the area, where it is a typical and highly requested dish.
In recent years, in which many of the classic recipes have been revalued, Tlalpeño broth has also gained popularity in haute cuisine restaurants, where it is usually given a more gourmet touch. In these places, the broth is made with very good quality raw materials and is served with a more sophisticated presentation.
In addition, with the popularity that Mexican food has throughout the world, the Tlalpeño broth can also be enjoyed in some Mexican restaurants in the United States and other countries. Latin America and Europe.
Another traditional Mexican soup that may interest you is tortilla soup, also called Torta Azteca.
The best time to eat tlalpeño broth
In Mexico, the tlalpeño broth can be consumed at any time of the year, but it is more common to eat it during the winter, since it is ideal for warming the body, because it generates satiety and is especially comforting. It can be served as a main dish or as an appetizer for a more formal dinner.
What other ingredients can the tlalpeño broth have?
- Ejotes (chauchas)
- elotes (corn)
- Zucchini (zapallitos or zucchini)
- Prickly pear
Original Tlalpeño chicken broth recipe
- Yield: 4 portions
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 and ½ liters of water
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 chiles chipotle
- 2 tomatoes cut without skin
- 2 branches of epazote (paico)
- 2 carrots cut into cubes
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Avocado (avocado), fresh cheese and lemon to serve
How to make original tlalpeño broth
- Cook the chicken breasts in a saucepan with water for 20 minutes or until cooked. Remove and unthread the chicken into strips. Reserve. The broth resulting from cooking the chicken is used to prepare the soup.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add the chiles, tomatoes and epazote sprigs and cook for a few minutes. In this step you can mix or liquefy the mixture, so that it is more uniform, or leave it as it is.
- Add the mixture to the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, carrot cubes, and chicken strips to the pot. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Cook for around 10 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Serve hot accompanied with avocado (avocado) cut into cubes, fresh cheese and a few slices of lemon.