Good morning and welcome to Paulina Cocina! There are preparations that are surprisingly adaptable to any ingredient. The tortilla is one of them. Meats, vegetables, fish…everything can make a royal omelette. Cod omelette is a traditional dish in Spanish cuisine. It consists of an egg omelet with pieces of desalted cod and other additional ingredients, such as onion, garlic and parsley.
Quick, easy and with few ingredients, the grandma’s recipe for cod omelette It is a great way to incorporate fish into the family menu. These types of recipes are passed from generation to generation with their characteristics that make them special. The best thing is to try our traditional recipe and then create your own to taste.
About the cod omelette
From Spain to the world, the cod omelette
The Cod omelette It is a traditional dish of Spanish cuisine, especially popular in the region of Spain. It is believed that its origin dates back to the 19th century in Vizcaya, a province in the Basque Country. Although the tortilla cod is a traditional dish, its preparation may vary depending on the region of Spain. Each region has its own recipe and preferences regarding ingredients and cooking technique.
The Cod omelette It originated as a way to use leftover salt cod that had not been used in other dishes. In this way, the cod was reused and a new delicious dish was created.
In Spain, cod omelette is frequently served as a tapa or appetizer in bars and restaurants. It is common to find it in tapas bars along with other Spanish delicacies. It is also very popular in Portuguese cuisine and is known as “bacalhau à Brás”. This variant has a slightly different preparation and is served with French fries and olives.
What you need to know about cod omelette
Although the best-known version of the cod omelette includes eggs, desalted cod, onion and garlic, there are variants that incorporate other ingredients such as papas (potatoes), peppers, tomatoes and even additional spices for added flavor.
A desired feature in a good Cod omelette It is that it is juicy inside. Achieving the perfect texture can be an art, since the tortilla must be curdled on the outside but tender and juicy on the inside.
5 tips to achieve the best cod omelette
- Cod quality: Use high quality cod, preferably fresh cod or desalted cod from good sources. This will ensure an authentic flavor and proper texture in the tortilla.
- Proper desalting: If you are using salt cod, desalting it correctly is crucial. Be sure to soak the cod in water for as long as necessary to remove excess salt. Change the water regularly to speed up the desalination process. This will prevent the omelette from being too salty.
- Ingredient ratio: Adjust the proportion of eggs and cod according to preferences. Some people prefer an omelet with more egg to make it softer and fluffier, while others prefer a higher proportion of cod to enhance its flavor.
- Cooking technique: The cod omelette is cooked over high heat in a frying pan with olive oil. It is important not to overcook it to avoid it becoming dry. The tortilla should be golden on the outside but juicy and tender on the inside.
- Additional ingredients: In addition to the cod and eggs, you can add additional ingredients such as onion, garlic or parsley to enhance the flavor of the omelet. Be sure to cook and season these ingredients beforehand before adding them to the egg and cod mixture.
For the omelette, is fresh or crumbled cod better?
If you want to use fresh cod Instead of desalted cod, it is important to note that the preparation process will be different. He fresh cod It must be cooked beforehand before adding it to the tortilla. You can cook fresh cod on the grill, in the oven or in a pan with a little olive oil until it is cooked through. Then, crumble into small pieces and proceed to incorporate it into the egg mixture and other ingredients. ingredients to make the omelet.
If you use crumbled cod Instead of large pieces, the preparation will be easier. It will not need to be shredded, as shredded cod is usually ready to use. Make sure it is well desalted and, if necessary, rinse and dry it before adding it to the egg mixture and other ingredients.
With this information about how to treat codwe can make any recipe we want like Cod brandy, Cod Portuguese, Biscayne style cod and the easy and delicious Traditional Cod Fritters among other.
ANYWAY. Although the traditional recipe is highly appreciated, new variants and presentations of the recipe have been explored in contemporary cuisine. Cod omelette. Some chefs have experimented with additional ingredients, innovative cooking techniques, and more elaborate presentations to put a modern twist on this classic dish.
I leave you with the recipe, I hope you try it and enjoy it. Then you tell me how it turned out.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
On YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Cod omelette recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 250 gr desalted cod
- 4 eggs
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- chopped fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
How to make cod omelette
- Crumble the desalted cod into small pieces. Peel and cut the onion into fine julienne strips and chop the garlic cloves. In a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic until golden. Add the cod and cook for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add salt to taste. Add the contents of the pan, mixing all the ingredients well. In a clean frying pan, heat a little more olive oil over high heat. Pour all the mixture and spread evenly.
- Cook for a few minutes until the edges are golden brown and the bottom is set. Using a large plate, turn the tortilla and cook it on the other side until completely set. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before cutting.