Hello! Welcome to Paulina Cocina. Today we want to share with you one of those grandmother’s stew recipes that we love: Chickpeas With Chorizo. A classic dish of Spanish gastronomy that invites the warmth of home, slow cooking, respecting the soaking times, enjoying cooking and savoring a well-homemade dish.
A stew that can be the perfect excuse to invite the family, forget old grudges for that meaningless discussion, or simply to enjoy with our loved ones and friends.
We leave you an easy recipe chickpea stew with chorizoa bit of information about its history and some tips to prepare it at home and make it delicious.
About the chickpeas with chorizo
Chickpeas with chorizo are a traditional dish of Spanish cuisine that combines the texture and unique flavor of chickpeas with the irresistible smoky and spicy touch of chorizo.
He chickpea stew It is a true delight for lovers of gastronomy, and its popularity has spread beyond the borders of Spain. Slow cooking and the use of fresh, quality ingredients are key to achieving perfection in this dish.
Each spoonful gives us an explosion of flavors that transports us to the very essence of traditional Spanish cuisine and gives us a pleasant sensation of warmth, ideal for cold days.
The origin of the chickpea stew with chorizo
He Chickpea stew with chorizo has its roots in the rich Spanish culinary tradition. This stew is typical of various regions of the country, and although the recipes may vary in ingredients and techniques, they all have in common the perfect combination of chickpeas and chorizo.
Chickpeas have been part of the Mediterranean diet for centuries, being an excellent source of protein and fiber, and their versatility in the kitchen has been valued since ancient times. In Spain this legume is used for many dishes, such as chickpea stewlos chickpeas with spinachor the Chickpeas with prawnsamong many others.
Chorizo, on the other hand, is a typical sausage characterized by its smoky flavor and its distinctive red color due to the mixture of meat and paprika. Combining chickpeas and chorizo in a flavorful and comforting stew was an ingenious way to take advantage of available pantry ingredients during the toughest of times.
Where is chickpea stew with chorizo traditional?
the stew of chickpeas with chorizo and potatoes it is especially popular in Spain, and each region has its own characteristic version. For example, in Andalusia, the chickpeas with chorizo recipe it is typical of Holy Week, while in the north of Spain it is common to find it on winter menus to combat the cold.
This dish is a recurring option at family gatherings and celebrations, since its flavor and generous portions make it an ideal choice to share with loved ones. In addition, thanks to its ease of preparation and the cheapness of its ingredients, it is a perfect option to serve a large group of people.
What ingredients are added in the chickpeas with vegetables and chorizo?
Although the basic chickpeas with chorizo recipe is delicious on its own, many people prefer to add a few vegetables to further enrich the stew. Some ingredients of chickpeas with vegetables and chorizo that perfectly complement the traditional recipe are: carrots, pumpkin, spinach and potatoes.
These vegetables provide additional colours, flavors and textures that make the dish even more appetizing and nutritious.
3 tips for preparing stewed chickpeas with chorizo
- Chickpea soaking: It is important to soak the chickpeas for at least 8 hours or overnight before cooking. This helps soften them and reduces cooking time.
- Choosing a good chorizo: Opt for a quality chorizo, preferably a smoked one to give the stew a more intense flavor.
- slow cook: The secret so that stewed chickpeas with chorizo delicious is slow cooking over medium-low heat. This achieves a smooth texture and a perfect union of flavors.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Chickpeas with chorizo recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour and 40 minutes (approximately)
- 300 g of dried chickpeas
- 200 g of sliced chorizo
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium potato cubed
- 500 g of beef (without fat)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 liter of chicken or vegetable broth
- Olive oil
How to make chickpeas with chorizo step by step
- Soak the chickpeas in cold water for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
- In a large pot, heat a little olive oil and fry the onion and garlic until golden. Add the chorizo and cook until it releases its aroma and is lightly browned. Add the potato and meat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and chopped tomatoes, and cook until tender. Add the drained chickpeas to the pot and cover with the chicken or vegetable broth. Add paprika, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 1 hour or until the chickpeas and potato are tender and the stew has become soft and soupy. Serve hot and enjoy this exquisite chickpea stew with chorizo accompanied with a piece of delicious homemade bread.