Welcome back to Paulina Cocina once again! Today I want to invite you to prepare a delicious dish and typically mexicanwhich combines many traditional flavors of that beautiful country.
The Aztec cake is ideal for a hearty and tasty meal. A preparation that brings together many ingredients in one dish, made with layers of tortilla and meat, similar to Italian lasagna, but with very Mexican flavors. Let’s cook!
About the Aztec cake
Aztec cake is a typically Mexican foodvery traditional in homes, which basically consists of a preparation made in different layerswith a super tasty result. Layers of corn tortillas, ground beef or chicken, chile, cheese, and tomato sauceare usually some of the typical ingredients that make up this Mexican-style lasagna.
Aztec cake is a delicious and comforting dish that dates back to ancient times. era prehispanic. Through the years this plate of aztec origin It has been influenced by various cultures, especially the Spanish, creating a mixture of flavors that make it unique and delicious.
The Aztec culture It was one of the most important in Mexico before the arrival of the Spanish in the 16th century. Food was a very important aspect for that culture, since they consumed a wide variety of foods, including corn, chili peppers, beans, meat, fish, and shellfish. Food was prepared in many different ways, including cooking in clay ovens and using grinding and mixing techniques to create sauces and dressings.
The Spanish influence on the Aztec cake
With the arrival of the Spanish and the introduction of ingredients such as beef and pork, cheese and spices, Mexican cuisine underwent a great change. The Spanish influence can be seen in the use of the baking technique, which is used, in this case, to prepare the cake.
Beyond its influences, this dish has achieved such popularity in Mexico that it is part of its culinary tradition and can be enjoyed at family gatherings in many homes, but also in restaurants and food stalls.
Its popularity is due, in large part, to its delicious taste and its versatilitysince it can be done with different fillings and it is easy to do.
How Aztec cake is made
traditional aztec cake
To prepare the cake, place a layer of corn tortillaswhich can be toasted or lightly fried to give it texture and flavor.
On top of the layer of tortillas, a layer of meat is placed, which can be beef or chicken, previously cooked and shredded (shredded). The meat is mixed with a tomato sauce and chileswhich gives it a spicy and slightly sweet flavor.
On top of the meat layer another layer of tortillas is added.. This process is repeated several times, until the desired height for the cake is reached. The top layer should be grated cheese or fresh mozzarella, which is melted and browned in the oven to give it a texture and color typical of the gratin.
aztec poblano cake
Aztec poblano cake is a variant of the traditional Aztec cake, originally from the region of Puebla, Mexico. It is prepared in layers, with a base of corn tortillas, interspersed with a mixture of poblano peppers, corn kernels, shredded (shredded) chicken, and tomato sauce.
He poblano pepper it is one of the main ingredients of this variant, since it gives it a unique and slightly spicy flavor. The corn kernels also give it a sweetness and a soft and crunchy texture.
With what to accompany the Aztec cake
He Azteca cake is usually accompanied by guacamole, sour cream y fresh cilantro. Although in itself it is a very complete dish that combines different foods such as meat, vegetables, chili peppers, tomatoes and tortillas, you can also choose accompaniments o fittings for a wholesome and tasty meal.
If you are interested in continuing to taste the flavor of Mexico, you will be interested in learning about these 10 Mexican food recipes that you can not miss!
Aztec Cake Garnishes
- onion and coriander: Finely chopped they are a classic garnish for many Mexican dishes and it is not the exception with the Aztec chicken cake.
- Avocado: A little sliced avocado on top of the Aztec chicken pie adds flavor and a smooth and creamy texture.
- Fresh salad: A salad of lettuce, tomato, avocado and fresh coriander is an excellent option for accompany the Aztec cake. The freshness of the vegetables will complement the intense flavors of the cake.
- Refried beans: are the Perfect complement for the Aztec cake. They can be served as a side dish or even layer refried beans between the tortilla layers of the cake. They are delicious!
- White rice: A traditional garnish that goes very well with the Aztec cake. The softness of the rice contrasts with the crunchy texture of the cake’s tortillas.
Aztec Chicken Pie Recipe
- Yield: 6/8 servings
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts (shredded)
- 1 chopped white onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 poblano chile roasted and cut into strips
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese or mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Aztec Chicken Pie
- First of all, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a frying pan, heat a little oil and sauté the onion with the garlic cloves until golden.
- Add the cooked and shredded chicken (boiled for about 20 minutes in salted water), the poblano pepper, the sweet corn and the tomato sauce. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In another pan, heat a little oil and lightly fry the tortillas so that they are soft, but not brown. Reserve them on absorbent paper.
- In a refractory ovenproof container, place a layer of tortillas and on top of them, a layer of the chicken and sauce mixture. Repeat the layers until the ingredients are finished. The last layer should be covered with the grated cheese.
- Bake the Aztec cake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve hot and to enjoy!