French Bread and French Toast Recipe
Welcome, humans and human inhabitants of this world, to a new chapter of Pauline Kitchen. Today we are going to talk about French breadhow to make homemade French bread and we are going to share the original French bread recipe, the most classic and easy on the entire web.
It is a very delicious bread and can be eaten in many ways, either just with butter and jam for breakfast, or as a base for sandwiches and toast. It is also commonly used to make croissants, a traditional French pastry.
Now let’s see how to prepare it at home.
about french bread
French bread is a type of bread that is characterized by having a crispy crust and a soft and fluffy crumb.. It is said that this bread originates from France, and has become very popular in many countries around the world.
The keys to the French bread recipe
The basic recipe for making French bread includes wheat flour, yeast, water and salt. Often a bit of sugar or honey is added to give it some sweetness and flavor.
I invite you to see my list of homemade bread recipes, you can’t miss it!
Some tips to succeed cooking homemade French bread
- Use good quality flour: The quality of the flour is important to obtain a fluffy and soft bread. I recommend you use good quality wheat flour to avoid mixing flours of different types.
- Carefully add salt: Salt is important for flavoring bread, but it can also inhibit the action of yeast. That’s why it’s important to add salt carefully and not exceed the amount recommended in the recipe.
- Let the dough rise: It is important to let the dough rise very well before baking it. This allows the yeast to work and make the dough rise, giving rise to a spongy and soft bread.
- Do not over knead: It is important not to over-knead the dough, this can make the bread dense and compact. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic is enough, no more.
- Preheat the oven: French bread cooks at high temperatures, so it’s important to use a hot oven to get the crust crispy and golden.
Different ways to use French bread
- sandwiches: French bread is ideal for making sandwiches, since its soft and airy crumb is easy to cut and adapts well to different fillings. You can use it to make ham and cheese, tuna, chicken, tomato and cheese sandwiches, among others.
- Pancakes: A very interesting way to make something simple but delicious with French bread is in pancake format, we have to crumble it and mix it with eggs, milk and spices to make fluffy pancakes.
- Croutones: It can also be cut into small cubes and toasted to make croutoneswhich can be used to garnish soups and salads.
- Bread crumbs: French bread is the best for making breadcrumbs, it can be used to bread food or to make croquettes and other fried dishes.
- Toasts: French bread can also be sliced and toasted. You can use them as a base for different preparations.
So… have you tried French toast yet? Below I explain how to do them.
Homemade French Bread Recipe
Ingredients for 1 large loaf
- 500 grams of wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 grams of dry yeast
- 300 ml of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
How to make homemade French bread step by step
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and yeast. Add the lukewarm water and olive oil, mix everything until you get a soft and smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a smooth and lightly floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes, until it feels elastic and smooth.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rest in a warm place for an hour, or until it has doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rest for 10 more minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, make shallow cuts into the bread.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when touched underneath.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
French Toast Recipe
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- oil for frying
Step by Step French Toast:
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Then add milk, sugar and mix well.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg-milk mixture for a few seconds so that it is well moistened.
- Heat a frying pan with enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Place the wet bread slices in the pan and fry over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Place the French toast on a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy.