Hello Paulines and Paulines! Welcome once again to our beautiful community of recipes and cooking tips. Today we bring you a recipe for fans of hotness: Green enchiladas with chicken. This typically Mexican dish is perfect for enjoying traditional flavors such as Corn tortillas, which have that characteristic crispness, shredded chicken, and green sauce with chiles. To accompany you can add cheese or cream and… lick your fingers!
We leave you with all the information you need to know more about this dish, its origin, how it is prepared, some preparation secrets and, of course, a complete recipe with a step by step to make delicious enchiladas in green sauce with chicken. .
About the green enchiladas
Las green enchiladas They are a traditional dish of the Mexican Kitchen. These delicious tortillas stuffed with chicken and bathed in green sauce, are characterized by the combination of intense and fresh flavors, a delicacy for food lovers. spicy food.
In this dish, the tortillas are usually lightly fried before adding the green sauce, giving them a crispy texture on the outside and soft on the inside. Although their flavor may vary slightly depending on the region, in general, enchiladas verdes are known for their characteristic spiciness and freshness.
The origin of green enchiladas
The green enchiladas recipe It originates from the central region of Mexico. Its origin dates back to pre-Hispanic times, when the Aztecs and other indigenous peoples already consumed corn tortillas, chili peppers and other similar ingredients.
In pre-Hispanic times, indigenous peoples already cultivated and consumed a wide variety of chili peppers. With the arrival of the Spanish in Mexico in the 16th century, new ingredients and culinary techniques were introduced, but chili peppers and corn tortillas remained fundamental elements in Mexican gastronomy.
How to make green enchiladas
To prepare delicious green chicken enchiladasthe main elements are corn tortillas, chicken, green sauce and the ingredients for the filling. Chicken is cooked and shredded by hand or in a food processor, then mixed with other ingredients like onion, garlic, and spices to create a flavorful filling.
The tortillas are slightly heated on a griddle or skillet to make them more flexible and easier to roll. A portion of the filling is placed on each tortilla and rolled tightly. Finally, the enchiladas are bathed in the green sauce and baked until hot and lightly browned.
Green sauce for enchiladas
The green sauce is the soul of the green chicken enchiladas recipe. To prepare it, green tomatillos and fresh chilies, such as jalapeño or serrano, are used, which are combined with other ingredients such as onion, garlic, cilantro and chicken broth.
The chiles and tomatillos are cooked briefly to enhance their flavor, then blended with the other ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. The green sauce it is poured over the enchiladas before baking, to give the dish a spicy and refreshing flavor.
4 secrets to delicious green enchiladas
- For a milder flavor, chiles can be deveined before cooking.
- Ingredients can be added to the filling, such as cheese or refried beansto add more texture and flavor.
- For an extra touch it is best to lightly brown the tortillas in hot oil before filling them.
- Accompany the green enchiladas with traditional ingredients such as cream, fresh cheese, chopped onion and cilantro.
Green enchiladas with chicken recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 1 kilo of green tomatillos
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1 handful of coriander
- 1 cup chicken broth
- shredded fresh cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
How to make green chicken enchiladas step by step
- Cook the chicken breasts in salted water until tender. Unthread by hand or with a processor and reserve.
- In a pan with oil, sauté the chopped onion and garlic until golden. Add the shredded chicken, season to taste and cook for a few more minutes. Reserve.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the green tomatillos and serrano chiles until soft. Remove from the water and let cool.
- Place the tomatillos, the serrano chiles, the handful of cilantro and the chicken broth in the blender or mixer, and process until obtaining a smooth sauce.
- Heat a frying pan with a layer of oil and quickly pass the tortillas through the hot oil so that they soften. Remove, fill each tortilla with the chicken and roll up. Arrange the enchiladas in a baking dish. Pour the green sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the crumbled queso fresco on top.
- Bake the enchiladas in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 minutes. Serve hot, accompanied with sour cream and fresh cilantro.