Welcome as always to the Paulina Cocina community! There are recipes that seem to have all the attributes and today’s is one of them. Cinnamon rolls or cinnamon rolls they are done easily, They are delicious and also have an aromatic main ingredient par excellence: the cinnamon.
Is there anything better when the cold days start than turning on the oven and filling the house with delicious aromas? Let’s get to work with this recipe cinnamon rolls that, although it is very easy, we must have patience and time to do it.
We are also going to see some curiosities about these cinnamon rolls. Follow me the brave!
A little history about cinnamon rolls
Although its origin is not very clear, it is known that these beautiful and aromatic cinnamon rolls were already prepared and consumed in 1920 in Sweden where they were given the name of “cinnamon bun”.
Due to the high cost of their ingredients at that time, they were only common in wealthy houses but eventually they spread to other Nordic countries. In fact the Swedes determined October 4 as their own cinnamon roll memorial day.
The arrival of cinnamon rolls to the world
In the second half of the 20th century, when there was massive Swedish immigration to the United States, they brought with them the recipe for the cinnamon rolls and they liked it so much that even today they are a widely consumed product in this country, mainly at Christmas.
The fact is that these rolls returned to their continent of origin and their consumption is spread throughout Europe. It could be said that it is a sweet that is achieved and appreciated in almost the entire world, originally from Sweden but almost indigenous to the United States who adopted it as part of their gastronomy and consume them in large quantities.
Testing Cinnamon Roll Fillings
We already know where they come from and where they went, so now we are going to see the variants of this irresistible recipe. Ideal for photographing or looking good with visitors due to their attractive and appetizing spiral appearance, these cinnamon rolls They are also excellent to try with other fillings without losing their essence.
- Raisins: They can be used as they come or they can be marinated for a while before using them in a spirituous liquor.
- Chocolate: The best way to use it is in very small pieces or as chips. I do not recommend grating because it will mix too much with the dough and the idea is to find it present in flavor and texture.
- Apple: Unlike chocolate, in this case grated is a good option. But in very small cubes or dehydrated.
If you like cinnamon, you can also make some delicious Orange and Cinnamon Cupcakes!
The traditional recipe for cinnamon rolls or cinnamon rolls
This recipe takes cinnamon, sugar and lots of butter, which makes it a sweet, intense and tasty bite. Cinnamon rolls can be eaten with or without frosting.
The suggestion of the day is that you enjoy them freshly made, warm and fluffy on the inside, slightly crunchy on the outside. Both for breakfast and for tea time, it is the ideal complement.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Time of preparation: 1 hour
- Leavening time: 3 hours
- 125 ml of whole milk
- 35 gr of common sugar
- 3.5 gr of dry yeast
- 2 gr
- 325 gr of flour 000
- 1 medium egg
- 65 grams of butter
- 50 gr of brown sugar
- 10 gr of ground cinnamon
- 30 gr of pearl sugar
- 75 gr of icing or powdered sugar
- 20 gr of water
How to make quick and easy cinnamon rolls
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl-type container suitable for kneading. In another bowl, mix the previously warmed milk with the sugar and yeast until well integrated.
- Combine the contents of both containers in the mixing bowl, add the egg and integrate well.
- Add just 50g of room temperature butter and knead for approximately 12 minutes or until the dough is smooth, silky and integrated.
- Transfer the dough to a greased container, cover with a clean cloth and leave to rise until it doubles in size. Approximately 2 hours.
- After this time, press the dough with your fist to degas and once this is achieved, pass it in the form of a bun to an oven container lined with parchment or parchment paper.
- Stretch with a stick to give it a rectangular shape and a maximum thickness of 1 cm.
- Melt the remaining butter and mix with the brown sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Spread this mixture over the rolled dough, covering it all and then roll it into a cylinder. You have to be very careful not to break the dough when handling it.
- Cut the rolled dough into 8 parts and arrange each one vertically with a separation of 2 cm in a previously buttered oven dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest to rise for 1 more hour.
- After this time, remove the film and cover the spirals with the pearl sugar, then put the tray in the oven preheated to 175°. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes until golden. Remove from oven.
Preparation of the glaze or frosting for the cinnamon rolls
In a medium bowl, intersperse the icing or powdered sugar with a little water and mix until you obtain a semi thick and homogeneous consistency. Once this is achieved, pour over the cinnamon rolls that we removed from the oven. Once this is done, they are ready to consume.