Hello dear friends of Paulina Cocina! If there is a popular, versatile and global ingredient, that is the beloved rice. Do you know someone who doesn’t like rice? We do not and that is why we decided today to talk about a way to do it that you will love for its simplicity and variety of facets: the broth rice.
It is a type of preparation that will be very easy for them and will allow them to get creative. In addition to recipes, we are going to give you advice and tips to prepare the perfect soupy rice. But, let us start at the beginning…
About the soupy rice
On another occasion we already talked about the classic and creamy risotto with an explanatory video and everything. The main difference between risotto and soupy rice is the variety of rice used and the final texture of the dish. While risotto is creamier, soupy rice is more liquid and may contain additional ingredients for flavor.
What is soupy rice?
Arroz caldoso is a typical dish of Spanish gastronomy and consists of rice cooked in a thick and tasty broth.. It is prepared with different types of rice, such as bomba rice or round rice. It can include ingredients such as seafood, rabbit, chicken, vegetables, among others.
In general, it is better to choose rice varieties that have a firm, creamy texture and have good liquid absorption capacity. Any variety of short or round rice will be a good choice for soup and stews but the most recommended son:
How to calculate the amount of water for soupy rice
For calculate the amount of water you need for soupy rice, it is important to take into account the variety of rice you are going to use and the amount of liquid it absorbs during cooking. It is generally recommended to use a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of liquid to rice.
Here’s an example of calculating the amount of water needed for soupy rice using a 3:1 ratio:
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 cups of broth
7 tips to prepare the perfect soupy rice
- Choosing the right rice: For a brothy rice, I recommend using a round rice or bomba rice, since these types of rice absorb more liquid and cook better in a broth.
- Fry the ingredients well: Before adding the rice and broth, fry the ingredients well in a large, deep pot. This will give your ingredients and broth flavor and aroma.
- Add the broth little by little: Add the broth little by little, so that the rice absorbs it well. In this way, you will achieve a creamy and smooth texture.
- Do not stir the rice too much: Do not stir the rice too often, as this can make the rice sticky. Instead, gently and gently stir it from time to time so it cooks evenly.
- Adjust the amount of liquid: If you see that the rice is becoming very dry, add a little more broth. If it’s getting too liquid, let it cook a little longer so the rice absorbs the liquid.
- Give it rest time: When the rice is cooked, remove the pot from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes so that the rice absorbs the last liquids and settles.
- add extra ingredients: If you want to add more flavor to your soupy rice, you can add extra ingredients such as chicken, seafood, vegetables, chorizo, etc. But make sure you cook them before adding them to the rice.
2 interesting options
Soupy rice with mussels
He soupy rice with mussels It is a dish in which rice is cooked with a liquid broth and mussels are added to give it flavor. It is prepared by frying onion, garlic and pepper and then tomato is added. Then rice, white wine and fish broth are added and boiled until the rice is tender. Separately, the mussels are cooked and added to the rice.
Rice with lobster
Arroz con bogavante is a sophisticated dish that combines rice and lobster. It is prepared by frying onion, garlic and pepper, then tomato is added and cooked. Then rice and fish broth are added and cooked until the rice is almost tender. Add chopped lobster and cook for a few more minutes.
Recipes with soupy rice
One of the best-known recipes is soupy rice with chicken. Delicious and comforting, it is very common in houses for the winter seasons. This recipe is easy and tasty like few others.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 cup of rice
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of chopped fresh parsley (optional)
How to make soupy rice with chicken
- In a pot, heat a little oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden on all sides. Remove from the pot and reserve.
- In the same pot, add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook until tender. Add the tomato and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and mix well with the sauce. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the broth has taken on a soupy texture.
- Return the chicken to the pot and cook for a few more minutes until it is very hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soupy rice with hot chicken. Add a little chopped fresh parsley on top.