Welcome to a new episode of Paulina Cocina! How have you been? Well, I tell you that peppers They are one of those vegetables that when they are in season you have to take advantage of them for their flavor, texture and price. We can use them to do stuffed peppers recipe today, to make easy preserves of sweet and sour bell peppers or simply clean them well and put them in the freezer.
The peppers can be obtained in various colors and this is great because they will allow us to serve a visually attractive dish. And as the old saying goes ̈food enters through the eyes ̈. Peppers also have different levels of sweetness and spiciness, so we can even try this recipe with different types.
Before moving on to the recipe stuffed peppers We are going to take into account that when looking for the peppers, they must be able to stand upright, not have imperfections or breaks in the skin through which the filling can come out and they must have a similar size. With this information now yes, peppers in hand, let’s get down to business.
A universal recipe: stuffed peppers
Baked meat stuffed peppers they are a popular dish in many culinary cultures around the world. Therefore, it is difficult to pin down exactly where this specific recipe originated. However, stuffed peppers may have originated in Mediterranean cuisine, where they were stuffed with fish and shellfish.
Peppers are native to Central and South America, but were introduced to Europe in the 15th century and became popular in Mediterranean cuisine. It is possible that each culture has adapted the recipe of the stuffed peppers with their local ingredients and culinary techniques, giving rise to regional variants of the dish.
Stuffed peppers around the world
This recipe is very versatile since the peppers can be stuffed with a wide variety of ingredients., such as meat, rice, cheese, vegetables and seafood. They are a very popular dish around the world, with many regional variations, from baked meat-stuffed peppers in Europe, to cheese-stuffed chiles in Mexico.
4 curiosities about stuffed peppers
- One way to stuff the peppers is by cutting off the top of the pepper and filling it with the mixture of ingredients. Another popular way is to cut the bell pepper in half and fill each half with the mixture.
- Stuffed peppers are a great way to use up leftovers from other dishes.since they can be filled with leftover meat, rice, vegetables, etc.
- In some places, it is considered bad luck to serve a stuffed pepper that has fallen apart during cooking, as it is believed to indicate future bad fortune.
- In Spanish culture, baked meat-stuffed peppers are a classic among Holy Week recipes, especially in the Murcia region.
2 delicious filling options
Rice stuffed peppers recipe
- To make Rice Stuffed Peppers you simply have to cut the top of the peppers to remove the seeds and membranes.
- Then, in a large frying pan, fry onion, garlic and crushed tomato. Add cooked rice, peas and season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Finally, fill the peppers with the mixture and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 45 minutes until soft and golden. If desired, it can be covered with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes to prevent burning.
Shrimp stuffed peppers recipe
- To make prawn stuffed peppersyou must cut the top of the peppers to remove the seeds and membranes.
- Then, fry chopped onion and garlic, add peeled and chopped prawns, and cook for a few minutes until pink. Add breadcrumbs, chopped fresh parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 45 minutes or until the peppers are soft and golden. As always when peppers are baked in the oven, they can be covered with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Baked meat stuffed peppers recipe
The recipe of baked meat stuffed peppers It is one of the most traditional when trying this preparation and the homemade tomato sauce is optional to accompany it. You can make a basic tomato sauce with onion, garlic and spices to taste, or add additional ingredients such as chili or carrots for more flavor.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Preparation time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 6 large bell peppers (they can be red, yellow or green)
- 500 gr of minced meat (can be beef, pork or a mixture)
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of crushed tomato
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil amount required
- grated cheese (optional)
How to make baked meat stuffed peppers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and cut off the tops of the peppers. Remove the seeds and membranes. Place them in a baking dish and reserve.
- In a large skillet, mix the onion, minced garlic, and oil. Cook until soft. Then add the minced meat and cook until well cooked.
- Add the cooked rice, crushed tomato, cumin, and oregano to the pan with the meat. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until all the ingredients are well integrated. Season to taste.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat and rice mixture and sprinkle with grated cheese, if desired.
- Cover the peppers with the tops that had been previously cut off and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake the stuffed peppers for about 45-50 minutes, until soft and golden. If desired, it can be covered with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes to prevent burning.