American potato salad, also known as American-style potato salad or potato salad in English, is a classic dish of American cuisine that you have surely heard countless times in series and movies. If you don’t live in North America, you may be surprised by the importance and popularity of potato salad in that region, when in most other countries it is simply a side dish. And get ready to be even more surprised because it even has a holiday… Just like you read!
It is believed that this cold potato salad It has its roots in German cuisine. German immigrants brought with them a similar recipe called “kartoffelsalat”, which consists of potatoes cooked with vinaigrette and herbs. Whether true or not, American potato salad is considered a staple of the United States.
Potato salad, an American family classic
American potato salad is a very common dish at American events and celebrations.such as Independence Day (July 4), barbecues, picnics and outdoor family gatherings.
This is because this salad is a very versatile side dish. It can be served alongside grilled meat dishes, sandwiches, burgers, or even as part of a side-by-side salad bar. Coleslaw, waldorf salad and the Caesar salad among other.
National Potato Salad Day
June 30th is National Potato Salad Day in the United States. What does it imply and how is it celebrated?
- At the government level, the promotion and recognition of this iconic dish is encouraged through various related activities and events. Many people use the occasion to share their favorite recipes, exchange cooking tips, and enjoy potato salad with friends and family.
- During this celebration, it is common for people to share and discover new recipes and variations of potato salads. Options can be explored that include different ingredients, seasonings, and seasonings to add a personal touch to this classic dish.
- In some communities, events and contests related to this preparation are organized. These events can include recipe competitions, tastings, presentation contests and more, providing an opportunity to highlight the creativity and culinary skills of the participants.
- With the rise of social media, many people share photos, recipes, and experiences related to potato salad on this day. Use hashtags like #NationalPotatoSaladDay and #NationalPotatoSaladDay to join the conversation and share your love for this dish.
What’s in this salad?
The main ingredients of American potato salad are usually potatoes (potatoes), eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, celery, vinegar, salt, and pepper. However, recipes may vary based on regional and personal preferences.
There are many regional variants of this salad. For example, in some regions of the southern United States, chopped pickle is added, while in the Northeast chopped sweet pickle may be added. Some recipes also incorporate crispy bacon, bell peppers, dill, or other herbs and spices.
They can be used different varieties of potatoes to make the salad, such as red potatoes, russet potatoes, or yellow potatoes. Each type of potato can add a slightly different texture and flavor to the salad.
The Dressing: Mayonnaise vs. Vinaigrette
There is debate as to whether American potato salad should be made with mayonnaise or vinaigrette. In different regions of the United States, you can find both versions and each has its own group of followers.
Adherents to dressing the salad with mayonnaise have to keep something in mind: It is important keep potato salad refrigerated to avoid the risk of food poisoning. It is recommended to store it in the refrigerator and consume it within 3-4 days after its preparation.
American Potato Salad Recipe
American potato salad is a very popular dish especially during the summer months.. It is a common accompaniment to cookouts and is served cold or at room temperature.
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1.5 kg of potatoes (potatoes) red or yellow
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves for garnish (optional)
How to make American potato salad easily
- Wash and cut the potatoes into cubes of approximately 2 cm. Place in a large pot with cold water and salt. Cook over medium heat until tender but firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Boil the eggs in a separate pot. Then peel them, chop them into small pieces and reserve. Once the potatoes are done, drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard, chopped onion, celery, olives, vinegar, and sugar. Season to taste and mix well. Add the cooked potatoes and the chopped eggs to the mixture. Stir gently.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the potato salad for at least 1 hour. Before serving, sprinkle chopped fresh parsley on top or top with fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional).