Welcome to a new recipe from Paulina Cocina. Today with a popular Spanish recipe: the rabbit with garlicone of those scrumptious delights, because the best way to eat it is by doing it with your hands.
An easy dish to prepare, that everyone likes and with ingredients that can be obtained at a very good price. Nothing richer than the perfume of garlic coming out of our window, right? Let’s enjoy it!
A traditional garlic rabbit recipe
One of those recipes where the well-known “less is more” is applied is rabbit with garlic, a very tasty and simple dish that is already a tradition in Spanish gastronomy. This recipe meets three fundamental characteristics: it is rich, it is cheap and easy to prepare, and the best thing is that it is eaten with your hands.
Being a white meat, the rabbit is very healthy. It is also very accessible, which has made it a widely used ingredient in Spanish cuisine, even since Roman times, due to its abundance in the Iberian Peninsula.
An aromatic dish to eat with your hands
One of the most outstanding characteristics of rabbit with garlic is its intense and very aromatic flavor. The predominance of garlic and the addition of spices add perfume and palate to the dish, especially for lovers of strong flavors.
In addition, since it is an easy and very economical recipe, it is an ideal option to cook at home and enjoy with family or friends.
It is also very common to find rabbit with garlic in numerous restaurants and tapas bars throughout the country, because basically this dish was born as a tapa and is served in this way in many places. This characteristic turns rabbit with garlic into a dish that is almost a ritualbecause it is enjoyed with four of the five senses.
The origin of rabbit with garlic
The specific origin of the rabbit with garlic is unknown.but the reality is that it is a combination of very popular ingredients found in different regions of the country.
Rabbit is a very common ingredient in Mediterranean gastronomy and the garlicfor its part, is a garlic based sauce and olive oil widely used in Andalusian cooking and in other parts of Spain.
If you are interested in making another preparation with rabbit, we suggest that you do not miss a traditional Spanish dish, gazpacho manchego!
Its preparation: with sauce or baked?
There are different ways to prepare rabbit with garlic, one of the most popular is the simple recipe for rabbit with garlic saucein which the chopped rabbit is browned in a pan with olive oil, then the meat is removed and a sauce is made on that base with garlic, white wine and the chosen spices.
Once the sauce is ready, the rabbit is returned to the pan and cooked together until the rabbit is tender and the sauce has reduced. This version allows the meat to be more hydrated and softer on the palate.
Another way is the rabbit with garlic in the oven, in which the pieces of rabbit are placed in a baking dish and a mixture of garlic, olive oil, white wine and spices is prepared. Pour this mixture over the rabbit and bake at a medium temperature for about an hour, until the rabbit is tender and the skin is golden and crisp. You just have to take care of the temperature of the oven so that the meat does not dry out.
Both versions are delicious and have a unique flavor and aroma. thanks to the combination of garlic and olive oil. The choice between one or the other will depend on the tastes and preferences of each person. In the first, the meat is softer and more tender, while in the second, in addition to the above, you can enjoy a crispy skin.
Traditional garlic rabbit recipe
- Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- 1 whole rabbit cut up
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
How to make baked garlic rabbit
- In a large casserole or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the rabbit pieces and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook everything together for a few minutes. Add the garlic and paprika and mix well.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the vinegar and water to the pot and stir to blend the flavors.
- Add the bay leaf and sprig of thyme. Season to taste. Lower the heat and cover the pan.
- Cook for about 45-50 minutes, or until the rabbit is tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- If the sauce is too runny, you can remove the rabbit pieces and cook the sauce over high heat for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Serve hot accompanied by a good bread, potatoes (potatoes) or white rice.