Good good friends and friends of this beautiful community. How were these days? Today I bring you a cake whose name refers me to an elegant and distinguished table: The Red Velvet cake. I imagine myself enjoying tea with friends or at some special celebration, receiving a portion of Red Velveteasily cutting it with a fork and discovering that spongy mass of an intense, very intense red.
Do not be scared or change the blog; this cake with a different and sophisticated air is not difficult to do. Of course, I advise using very good quality ingredients.
Dare to do it and then tell me that tulle!
On the red velvet cake
What is red velvet cake?
Red Velvet cake is a popular American dessert characterized by its distinctive dark red color and moist, fluffy texture. It’s taste? It is a mixture of vanilla and cocoa, with a mild buttermilk flavor.
The Red Velvet cake is usually decorated with a cream cheese, which gives it a sweet and creamy flavor, but it can also be decorated with meringue, whipped cream or any other type of icing. This cake is a delicious option for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays and parties.
The Red Velvet cake owes its name to its characteristic intense red colorwhich is obtained by adding red food coloring to the cake batter.
I invite you to know my best sweet cake recipes!
The story behind his name
Although there is not much accurate information about the origin of its name, We have a theory that suggests the name originated in the 1950s at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York.who served red velvet cake at his banquets.
It is said that the fame of the cake spread rapidly thanks to its distinctive color and its soft and fluffy textureand that people began to call him “red velvet cake” (red velvet cake) for its velvet-like appearance.
Others suggest that the name could be due to its slightly sweet and sour taste, which can be compared to the taste of red wine. What will be the correct explanation? Difficult to say at the moment.
Despite the uncertainty about the origin of the name, what is clear is that red velvet cake is a popular and delicious dessert that is still highly regarded today.
What should be taken into account before preparing a red velvet cake?
Before preparing it, it is important to take into account the following aspects:
- Ingredients: Make sure you have all the necessary ingredients, including red food coloring, cocoa powder, buttermilk or vinegar milk, flour, sugar, oil, eggs, and baking soda. Use good quality ingredients to get the best result.
- Ingredients temperature: It is important that the ingredients are at room temperature before starting to prepare the cake, especially the butter and eggs. In this way, they will mix better and the cake will be fluffier.
- Utensils: It is also important that you make sure you have all the necessary utensils, including a cake pan, an electric mixer, a sieve for the cocoa powder and flour, and a mixing spatula.
- Preparation time: Red Velvet cake requires preparation time, so make sure you have plenty of time to mix, bake, and decorate the cake.
- Food coloring: Red food coloring is an essential ingredient in Red Velvet cake, so make sure you have enough food coloring to achieve the cake’s signature red hue.
You may also be interested in making some red velvet pancakes, here is a video!
What is the best coloring for red velvet cake?
The coloring traditionally used in red velvet cake is red paste or liquid food coloring. However, it is important to note that the colorant used can vary depending on the brand and the amount used.
If you are looking for a specific colorant, I recommend looking for a good quality gel or paste colorant that is a shade deep red and does not have an unpleasant taste. You can also use the natural alternative and try coloring such as beetroot juice to obtain the desired red color.
It is important to note that the amount of coloring will depend on the desired result and the specific recipe being used. It is always best to add the color little by little and test the mixture before adding more to get the desired shade.
What are the infusions that combine best with the red velvet cake?
As we love that everything combines, I am going to leave you below the best infusions to accompany this spectacular cake red velvet:
- ginger tea: It has a spicy, earthy flavor that can complement the smooth, velvety flavor of red velvet well. Additionally, ginger can help stimulate digestion after a heavy meal.
- Black tea: It has a strong, robust flavor that can complement the chocolate flavor in Red Velvet cake well.
- Red fruit tea: Its sweet and fruity flavor can complement the flavor of cream cheese frosting on Red Velvet cake well. Additionally, berry tea is rich in antioxidants and may have benefits for heart health.
- Vanilla infusion: Vanilla has a mild and sweet flavor that can complement the flavor of Red Velvet cake well. A hot or cold vanilla infusion can be a delicious and comforting option to accompany the cake.
- A guy: In general, it is advisable to choose infusions that are smooth and aromatic, with flavors that complement but do not compete with the distinctive flavor of the pastel red velvet.
Another way to accompany it: Champagne
Red velvet cake and champagne can be a delicious and elegant combination for a special celebration. So I am going to leave you some champagne suggestions that you could consider to pair with the unique and distinctive flavor of Red Velvet:
- Champagne rosado: It has a delicate, fruity flavor that can complement the smooth, velvety flavor of Red Velvet well. Also, the pink color of champagne can make the combination even more elegant.
- Champagne demi-sec: It also has a sweet, fruity flavor that can complement the flavor of cream cheese frosting on Red Velvet cake well. In turn, the sweetness of the champagne can balance the acidity of the cake and soften its flavor.
- Champagne brut: It has a crisp, dry flavor that can complement the chocolate flavor in Red Velvet cake well. Furthermore, brut champagne is a classic and elegant option for any celebration.
- Another tip: it is advisable to choose a champagne that has a balanced and complex flavor, but that is not too sweet or heavy so as not to compete with the delicacy of the flavor of the Red Velvet cake. In addition, it is important to serve the champagne very cold to better enjoy its flavor and aroma.
Red velvet cake recipe
- Yield: 10 / 12 servings
- Preparation time: 1 hour and a quarter
For the cake
- 250 gr of unsalted butter
- 330 gr of white sugar
- 10 g red food coloring (gel or paste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of natural vanilla essence
- 375 gr of refined and unleavened flour
- 35 gr of bitter cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 370 ml sour milk (in the procedure I explain how to make it at home)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 15 ml vinegar
For the cheese topping
- 280 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 280 gr of talc sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 600 grams of cream cheese
To decorate the cake
How to make the Red Velvet cake step by step
For the sour milk
- Place the milk and lemon juice in a bowl and integrate with a wire whisk.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Prepare 3 molds of 20 cm in diameter and 3 cm high with parchment paper at the base.
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add the white sugar and coloring and beat until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the essence of vanilla. To integrate.
- In another bowl, sift the dry ones: the flour and the baking powder.
- Add the dry and acid milk to the interspersed preparation. To integrate.
- Add the baking soda to the vinegar. It’s going to fizz. Incorporate into the preparation.
- Divide the preparation and place it in the 3 tarteras.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until when pierced with a stick it comes out clean.
- Let cool at room temperature. Reserve.
For the cream cheese topping
- Place the ointment butter (at room temperature) in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer to make it very creamy.
- Sift the powdered sugar, adding it to the bowl with the butter.
- Again, beat with an electric mixer so that it is very creamy. It is important that the preparation is well integrated and homogeneous.
- Add the cream cheese, beating until fully integrated.
for the mounted
- Place a dot of cream cheese on the foot of the cake so that the biscuits do not move.
- Unmold the biscuits.
- Place the first sponge cake and a layer of cream cheese on top.
- Place the second cake and another layer of cream cheese.
- Place the last cake turned.
- Cover the cake with the remaining cream cheese.
- Decorate the cake with natural strawberries.
IMPORTANT: It is not necessary that you have 3 molds. You can cook the cakes one at a time or you can also make a whole one and cut it into 3 discs.