How are friends of Paulina Cocina?! Over here wanting to dip a few tortilla chips in some Pork beanshow delicious please!
On this occasion, in case you haven’t tried them yet, I’m going to share with you everything you need to know to prepare your own pork beans. A spectacular dish of Sinaloa origin. We are also going to talk about many interesting details from its originthe difference with charro beans, some tips for preparationand one recipe to make at home and enjoy Mexican style.
About pork beans
Los pork beans They are a real feast for the palate. This dish of Mexican cuisine is enjoyed as a garnish or typical accompaniment for nachos, quesadillas and corn tortillasand also in more substantial foods such as meat or shrimp tacos.
The recipe resembles a very tasty pasta or saucewith stellar ingredients like chorizo, cheese, butter, onion and jalapeno peppers. The combination of these elements creates a symphony of flavors that makes you want to eat these beans by the spoonful.
Origin of the recipe
It is said that the tradition of this dish originated in the ranches and haciendas of northern Mexico, where available ingredients were used ingeniously to create rich and filling dishes.
The origins of this dish date back to Sinaloa, a state known for its rich culinary tradition. The original recipe was distinguished by the presence of the lardwhich gave it a unique texture and flavor.
However, as the recipe was passed down from generation to generation, it replaced the pork butter for common lard. With either version, it is still an essential component that adds flavor and creaminess to the beans.
The keys to this preparation
The preparation of this recipe is simple. The first thing you do is cook the beans, and then process them or mash them with a fork so that a pasta or puree. Then the crumbled chorizo and the rest of the ingredients are cooked in the butter.
Finally, the beans are added to the previous sauce and the cheese is added to give it the final touch. A symphony of flavors that transports you directly to heart of Mexican cuisine.
Pork beans vs. Charro beans
Charro beans are often confused with swine, but there are key differences between them. The Charro beans They are another iconic dish of Mexican cuisine that also incorporates beans and other ingredients such as bacon, chilies, tomato and herbs.
The main distinction is that charro beans have a consistency more similar to that of a tripe stew and are eaten as a spoon dish, especially on cold days.
Furthermore, the presence of butter and cheese in the pork beans, they change the consistency and flavor of the dish. Charros, on the other hand, can contain a variety of meats and are characterized by their substantial broth.
4 tips for preparing pork beans
- Soak the beans 8 hours or overnightto reduce cooking time and avoid causing any digestive discomfort.
- Cook the beans over low heat to prevent them from breaking.
- Once the beans are mixed with the rest of the ingredients, it is important stir constantly so they don’t stick.
- The cheese is incorporated once the mixture has reached temperature, to facilitate it melting and integrating well.
Now we are ready to prepare this delight. Leave me in the comments if you have any questions and also tell me how it turned out.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Pork beans recipe
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Preparation time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups black beans
- 150 g chopped chorizo
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 100 g fresh cheese, crumbled
- 100 g of butter
- 1 pinch of cumin
- Salt to taste
- Totopos to accompany
How to make pork beans step by step
- Soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse before using. Cook them with enough water until they are tender. Process or mash with a fork. Reserve
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and sauté the onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the chorizo and cook until golden.
- Add the cooked beans and season with salt and cumin. Stir constantly.
- Add the fresh cheese, stirring so that it is integrated into the mixture. Turn off and let it rest for a few minutes. Enjoy with tortilla chips.