Hello, how are you, friends of Paulina Cocina? In this installment we bring you a very popular recipe from Indian cuisine: pollo tikka masala. Surely many of you have tried this spicy delight, but you don’t dare to prepare it because you have the “idea” that it is complex.
In this community we leave you the challenge of doing the Chicken Tikka Masala recipe and eradicate the myth. With our recipe you will learn how to prepare it and we assure you that it will be a success. Let’s cook!
About chicken tikka masala
He pollo tikka masala It is an exquisite dish of Indian origin that combines intense flavors with the softness of its creamy texture and, despite what is thought, its preparation is not as complicated as many people believe.
This delicacy is made up of chicken pieces marinated in a mixture of yogurt and spices, such as cumin, turmeric, ginger, el currythe coriander and, of course, the masala. What makes this dish so special is the salsa tikka masala that accompanies him. This sauce is made with tomatoes and a mixture of spices that give it its unmistakable flavor. The combination of the tender meat of the chicken with the creaminess and intense flavors of the tikka masala sauce is an irresistible mixture.
How to make tikka masala recipe
Prepare the tikka masala recipe It requires some simple steps and the result is well worth it. The important thing is to anticipate so you can marinate the chicken for a good amount of time. They are preferably used breasts cut into pieces to make it more comfortable when eating.
Then you just have to seal the chicken, mix spices and make the famous tikka masala sauce that will give it that unique flavor. It is advisable to have made a scented white riceAs the basmati ricewhich is ideal for this dish.
It can be accompanied with a pan naan caliente to dip in the sauce and enjoy a wholesome Indian food proposal.
The sabor tikka masala
Tikka masala flavor is the soul of chicken tikka masala and what differentiates it from the classic pollo al curry. This combination of masala spices, such as cumin, turmeric, coriander, curry and garam masala, among others, creates an explosion of flavors in every bite.
The spice mixalong with the yogurt and tomato in the sauce, provides a unique balance of spiciness, sweetness, and creaminess that is simply delicious.
The meaning of the word masala
The word “masala” comes from the Hindi language and is used to describe a mixture of spices. In the indian cuisinemasalas are essential to flavor dishes and each masala can be unique as it can vary depending on the region or the chef who prepares it.
The masala can be powdered or a mixture of fresh ingredients, as in the case of salsa tikka masalawhich incorporates ground spices along with fresh tomatoes.
The different types of masala
In the indian cuisine, there are a wide variety of masalas used for different culinary preparations. Some of the most well-known types of masala include garam masalawhich is a dry spice blend commonly used in many dishes.
There are also the chaat masala, which is spicier and is used for appetizers and salads; and the tandoori masalaused to marinate meats and obtain that distinctive tandoori flavor.
4 tips to easily prepare chicken masala
- Proper marinade: The secret of a good pollo Tikka Masala lies in the marinade. It is advisable to marinate the chicken for at least an hour, or even the night before, so that it absorbs all the flavors of the spices and yogurt.
- Sealing the chicken: Before adding it to the sauce, the chicken has to be previously sealed, without overdoing it to prevent it from drying out, just so that the flavors of the marinade can fully infuse.
- Spices to taste: Spices can be adjusted according to personal preferences. You can add a little chili to give it a spicy touch, or reduce the amount of spices for a milder flavor.
- Add coconut milk: To obtain a creamier and more consistent sauce, a little coconut milk at the end of cooking will add flavor and smoothness to the sauce.
Now yes, with all this in mind. Let’s prepare this recipe that has a lot to give us ♥️
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (approximately)
- 500 grams of chicken breasts cut into pieces
- 1 cup of natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric en polvo
- 1 tablespoon of curry
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (or 1 tsp powdered ginger)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 crushed tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil
How to make chicken tikka masala step by step
- In a bowl, mix the masala, cumin, turmeric, curry and ginger. Divide into two portions. Mix one half with the yogurt and chopped cilantro and marinate the chicken pieces with that mixture. Let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
- Heat a little oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Sear the marinated chicken pieces for a few minutes until lightly browned. Be careful, do not overcook, just seal the surface. Reserve.
- In the same frying pan or saucepan, add a little more oil and sauté the chopped onion until translucent and lightly golden. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and minced garlic. Cook the mixture until the tomato has broken down and then add the other half of the spice mixture. The sauce should have a smooth texture.
- Add the sealed chicken pieces to the sauce and mix so that the flavors are infused. Add the coconut milk, integrate and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and let cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked and tender. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving with white rice and a few slices of naan bread.