Welcome and welcome! At Paulina Cocina we like salads so much that we even have an item for them in the recipes section. They can be fresh, have many textures, have cooked ingredients… Everything! This country salad is a traditional grandmother’s recipethat recipe that passes from generation to generation and there is no family home in which there is not a version of this salad considered summer.
But also because it is very versatile and can be adapted to personal tastes and regional preferences, that is why there are many versions. Some people may add other ingredients or adjust the vinaigrette based on their own family recipes.
About the country salad
What is country salad?
Country salad is a traditional culinary preparation in several regions, especially in Spain.. Although there may be variations by region or chef, in general, country salad is a combination of fresh ingredients typically served cold and perfect for summer.
Below is an overview of common ingredients typically included in a traditional country salad:
- potato: They are the base of the country salad and are cut into cubes or slices cooked to perfection.
- Peppers: Peppers, both red and green, are usually roasted or fried and then cut into strips.
- Onion: Generally, red onion or scallion is used, finely cut to add a touch of flavor.
- Tomatoes: Add ripe, juicy tomatoes, cut into cubes or slices.
- Olives: Pitted black or green olives add flavor and texture to the salad.
- Eggs: Boiled eggs, cut into quarters or slices, are also common in this salad.
- Tuna: In some variants, canned tuna is added to add protein.
- olive oil and vinegar: These ingredients are used to dress the salad, along with salt and pepper to taste.
Origin and characteristics of this grandmother’s recipe
The country salad is originally from Spain, where it has been transmitted through generations as a typical recipe of regional gastronomy. Its popularity has spread to other regions with different variations and names.
The main ingredients of country salad usually include potatoes, peppers, onion, tomato, olives and, in some versions, tuna. Other ingredients can also be added, such as boiled eggs, cucumber, green beans or capers.
The country salad is prepared by cutting and cooking the ingredients, and then mixed with a vinaigrette or dressing based on olive oil and vinegar. It is common for ingredients to be cut into large pieces, which gives the salad a rustic appearance.
Why should we eat salad in general and country salad in particular?
This salad is ideal for the hot months, as it is refreshing and nutritious. The country salad is a healthy and balanced option, since it combines vegetables, proteins and healthy fats from olive oil. It is a good source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Due to its simplicity and delicious flavor, country salad has gained popularity not only in Spain, but also in other countries where Mediterranean cuisine and fresh, healthy preparations are appreciated.
The country salad is ideal for the summer season, since it is made up of fresh and seasonal ingredients that are available during that time of year. It is usually made up of a variety of fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, and sometimes proteins such as chicken, tuna, or shrimp.
Do you want to know more about country salad?
Although the country salad is known throughout Spain, its origin is more linked to the Andalusia region, in the south of the country. However, it has become popular in different areas and has variants depending on the region.
Unlike many salads, the country salad does not have lettuce among its main ingredients. It focuses on potatoes as a base, along with other vegetables and proteins.
The name “campera” comes from the word “campo” o “camper“, indicating that this salad originated as a typical food for farm workers. Its simplicity and ease of preparation make it a practical option to take on excursions or outdoor activities.
In many regions of Spain, country salad is a very common dish during festivities and outdoor events, such as fairs, pilgrimages and local festivals.
The typical dressing for country salad is usually made with extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Herbs such as parsley or oregano can also be added to enhance the flavors.
Benefits of eating salads all year round
Recommended by nutritionists, doctors and sports specialists, salads are so adaptable that they have many and diverse benefits. According to the chefs, these have to have many textures and temperatures to give us a complete experience in the mouth. So we recommend doing Salad recipes and know the ABCs to make the best ones.
I’ll retire and leave you with the recipe for the most beautiful salad in the universe. Bye! until next time.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
On YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Traditional country salad recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 500 g of potatoes (potatoes)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 100 g green or black olives
- 2 boiled eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Wine vinegar (preferable)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
How to make traditional country salad
- Wash the potatoes well and cut them into cubes or slices of similar size. Boil in salted water until tender but still firm. Drain and let cool.
- Wash, clean the inside and cut the peppers into thin strips. Peel and cut the onion into thin slices. Wash the tomatoes and cut them into cubes. Peel the boiled eggs and cut them into quarters or slices.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked potatoes with the peppers, onion, tomatoes and olives. Prepare the dressing by mixing extra virgin olive oil with wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix. Decorate the salad with quarters or slices of boiled egg. Optionally, sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the salad for a touch of flavor and color.
- Refrigerate the country salad for 30 minutes before serving so that the flavors blend and cool properly.