Good morning, good afternoon, good night to the beautiful community of Paulina Cocina! Today we bring you one of those recipes that Paulina would define as a “non-prescription” because you practically don’t have to be born at all!, and they are: oven roasted peppers.
A very easy recipe that you can stop doing while you hang your clothes on the terrace or feed the cat. Effortlessly, with a good oven and some meaty red peppers, it comes out a wonder that you can use in many ways and always have on hand. We do them?!
About the roasted peppers
Roasted peppers are a delight, due to the simplicity of their preparation and for that sweet and slightly smoky flavor, combined with their tender and moist texture that makes them irresistible. In addition to being tasty, roasted peppers are a versatile ingredient that can be used in infinite ways.
Roasted peppers are made primarily from red peppersalso known as “brown”chosen for their sweet and intense flavor, although other varieties such as yellow or green bell peppers, but the taste is different. Red bell peppers are also a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants, making them a healthy and nutritious option.
3 Ways to Make Roasted Red Peppers
- Baked at a high temperature until the skin is wrinkled and slightly charred.
- On the grill, which can be done over the coals, taking care not to burn too much, or on the rack.
- Over the flame of the burner on a gas stove, which will give them a more intense smoky flavor.
Cooking time for oven roasted peppers can vary depending on the size and variety, as well as the temperature used. In general, it is recommended roast them at a high temperature (200º C) for about 25-30 minutes. In the cooking process it is important to turn the peppers occasionally so that they cook evenly.
3 techniques to peel roasted peppers
Once the peppers are roasted, it is necessary remove skin and seeds before using them in different preparations. There are several techniques that can be used to peel them quickly and easily.
- One of them is to place the roasted peppers in a recipient and cover them with plastic wrap or a lid. This will help the steam generated loosen the skin and make it easier to peel them.
- Another technique consists of placing the peppers in a plastic bag closed for a few minutes to allow moisture to soften the skin. Then, the skin is simply removed by hand or with the help of a knife.
- It is important don’t be tempted to wash them with water, because the smoked flavor would be lost. If there are remains of skin and seeds, they can be scraped with a knife to remove them.
- To give the peppers a particular flavor, you can add some spices or aromatic herbs before roasting them. oregano, thyme, rosemary or cumin They are options that enhance the flavor of the peppers and complement each other very well.
- can also be marinate the peppers in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic and salt before roasting, to enhance its flavor.
- To obtain an even softer and more tender texture, you can wrap the peppers roasted in aluminum foil after cooking and let them rest for a few minutes. This will allow the juices to redistribute and make the peppers juicier.
Roasted Red Pepper Recipe Ideas
- Roasted Red Pepper Salad: The peppers are cut into strips and mixed with black olives, feta cheese, red onion and an olive oil and balsamic vinegar vinaigrette. It is a colorful and super tasty salad to accompany many meals.
- Roasted Pepper Bruschetta: slices of bread drizzled with olive oil are placed in the oven, and once browned they can be brushed with half a garlic. Then strips of roasted peppers are placed on top and a bit of fresh basil minced. It is a delicious option as an appetizer or tapa, or to enjoy in an informal meeting.
- Roasted Red Peppers with Garlic: Cut the roasted peppers into strips and mix with chopped garlic and olive oil. A perfect option to accompany oven roasted meats or on the grill.
- sandwich dry tomatoeswith roasted peppers, serrano ham and a few basil leaves.
- It is also very good to make a roasted pepper pastepassing them through a mixer or processor, which can be used as if it were a mayonnaise or for a bite as a dip.
How to preserve roasted peppers
If there are leftover roasted peppers, it is best to store them as a preserve, in a jar, covered with olive oil. They can also be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bags, to keep them for a longer period.
Oven Roasted Red Peppers Recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 4 large red bell peppers
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make roasted peppers in 4 steps
- Preheat the oven to 200º C. Wash the peppers and dry them carefully. Place them on an oiled baking tray and spray with a little more oil on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until skin is wrinkled and slightly charred. Remove the tray from the oven and allow the peppers to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, carefully remove the skin, and remove the seeds and stem with a knife.
- Cut the roasted peppers into strips or pieces and season with salt and pepper.