Hello friends from Paulina Cocina! Today we are going to cook a beef salpicón. Because who hasn’t prepared a salad with fresh ingredients along with a portion of meat to achieve a more balanced dish? Well, what we are going to do this time is shred that meat and integrate it with the vegetables in the salad, for a more homogeneous and colorful option.
In this note, we are going to learn a little more about salpicón de carne, its history, the reason for its nice name, the secrets to prepare it and a beef salpicón recipe to always have on hand.
About the sausage
Salpicón de res is a dish of Latin American cuisine made mainly with cooked and shredded beef, accompanied with ingredients such as red onion, peppers, tomato, pickles, olives, lettuce, avocado, chili and fresh herbs. Salpicón’s distinctive flavor is the result of a vinaigrette that combines lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
This dish is served cold and is known for its versatility, as it can be enjoyed as an appetizer, as a summer salad, or as a filling for Mexican tacos or Venezuelan arepas, being a popular option at many culinary gatherings on hot days.
Origin of beef salpicón and why it is called that
Salpicón de res has its origin in Spain, where it used to be prepared with game meat and poultry (it is still prepared today). Later, in Latin America, the recipe was adapted with beef and other ingredients, achieving great popularity.
The versatility and ease of this recipe allowed each country to give it its special touch, incorporating regional ingredients and dressings. Today, this tasty and colorful dish is a preparation enjoyed in many Latin American countries.
The word “salpicón” comes from the French term “salmigondis,” which was used in the Middle Ages to refer to a mixture or “hodgepodge” of various ingredients. Over time, this idea of mixing and matching was adapted to different cuisines, giving rise to preparations unique to each culture.
What does the salpicón contain?
The heart of any beef salpico is, of course, the meat. For this preparation, beef (skirt or similar cuts) is used, cooked and shredded into fine strands. In addition, a variety of fresh and colorful ingredients are incorporated that add textures to the dish.
Some of the typical ingredients are:
- Purple onion: Provides a spicy touch and vibrant color.
- Red and green pepper: They add a contrast of colors and a crunchy flavor.
- Tomato: Provides juiciness and a fresh, acidic flavor.
- Pickled gherkins: They offer a sweet and sour touch and an interesting texture.
- Green olives: They contribute with their salty flavor and meaty texture.
- Coriander or parsley: They add freshness and aroma to the whole.
- Avocado (avocado): Provides creaminess and softness.
- Lemon: Lemon juice is essential for the dressing, providing a citrus and refreshing touch.
In any case, this is an indicative list and elements can be added or removed, according to personal tastes.
How do you prepare beef salpicón?
The preparation of meat salpicón is quite simple, and the result is a very delicious and fresh dish.. To begin, the meat is cooked until tender and shredded into thin strips. Then, cut the vegetables into julienne strips and mix with the meat.
The dressing is essential for the flavor of the salpicón. Prepare a vinaigrette with lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. This vinaigrette is poured over the meat and vegetable mixture, and stirred carefully so that all the ingredients are infused with flavor.
Beef salpicón is traditionally served cold, making it an ideal option for hot days, as a salad. It is often accompanied with toast, crackers or as a filling for tacos, according to personal tastes.
4 tips for preparing meat salpicón
- Meat quality: Use a lean cut of meat and cook in water with a little garlic and bay leaves for flavor.
- Uniform cut: Cut the ingredients into strips or similar pieces to ensure a harmonious mixture.
- Balanced vinaigrette: Adjust the acidity of the dressing according to personal taste. You can use only lemon or only vinegar, as an acidic element, or combine the two.
- Rest time: Let the salpicón rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before serving so that the flavors integrate.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Red sausage recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 500 grams of cooked and shredded beef.
- 1 red onion, cut into julienne strips.
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips.
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips.
- 1 lettuce plant
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into small cubes.
- 1/2 cup pickles, thinly sliced.
- 1/2 cup green olives, chopped.
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped.
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste.
How to make beef salpicón step by step
- In a bowl, combine the shredded beef with the red onion, peppers, tomatoes, pickles, olives, lettuce cut into strips and cilantro or parsley.
- In another container, mix the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to prepare the vinaigrette.
- Spread the vinaigrette over the meat and vegetable mixture and stir carefully so that everything is well coated. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 30′. Decorate with avocado slices on top when serving.