Hello friends of Paulina Cocina! Today we bring you one typically Spanish recipesuper easy, but no less delicious for that: potatoes Revolconas. These potatoes are all that’s right. A dish with few ingredients, but with a lot of flavor.
In a little while you will find out everything you ever wanted to know on the scrambled potatoes: the why of your name, his storylos Ingredients that cannot be missing and those that can be added to it. Of course we leave you one easy recipe to make this delight and enjoy alone in those moments of selfish pleasure, which are so beautiful, right?
About the scrambled potatoes
Las potatoes Revolconasalso known as stir fry potatoes o tossed potatoesare a traditional dish of Spanish gastronomy that is characterized by combining the creaminess of mashed potatoes (potatoes) with the intense flavor of bacon and paprika.
This typical dish of Castilian cuisine is made, as we mentioned, from potatoes and baconusually accompanied by paprika and garlic. Its name refers to the process of “rolling”, squashing the potatoes to create a creamy and tasty texture.
This delicious recipe has a comforting flavor and is traditionally served as main dish or side dish.
How to make scrambled potatoes
Prepare scrambled potatoes It is a simple process that requires few ingredients but a lot of culinary passion. The potatoes are cooked until tender and mashed to a smooth mash. The potatoes are incorporated crispy bacon, garlic and paprikapreviously sautéed in a pan and that’s it!
Origin and history of machaconas potatoes
Las potatoes Revolconas They have their origin in the region of Castilla y León, in the heart of Spain. This recipe dates back to ancient times, when potatoes were the staple in the diet of the inhabitants of the area.
Las stir fry potatoes They arose as an ingenious way to take advantage of the ingredients available in the field and offer a hearty and comforting dish to workers and peasants.
Today, the mashed potatoes (another of its many names) are especially popular in provinces such as Ávila, Salamanca and Zamora, where they have become a symbol of traditional Castilian cuisine.
However, his fame has spread throughout the country, and it is common to find this dish in restaurants that seek to rescue the essence of regional cuisine Spanish.
Traditional ingredients and some alternatives
Las traditional scrambled potatoes are prepared with basic ingredients such as potato, bacon, peppers y SHE. However, there are some variations that add other elements to enhance its flavor.
Some recipes include chorizo, onion or even chilli, giving rise to unique and tasty combinations. It is also possible to adapt the recipe to different dietary preferences, using alternative ingredients such as tofu instead of bacon or sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes.
5 tips for perfect scrambled potatoes
- Choosing the right potatoes: the best are the floury varieties, such as Monarch of Kennebecsince these are easily undone by having less liquid, and contribute to achieving a creamier texture.
- Check the cooking point: It is important not to overcook the potatoes, as they could lose its ideal consistency to be crushed. Cook them until they are tenderpreventing them from falling apart.
- Paprika, a key touch: paprika is one of the main ingredients that provides flavor and color to the scrambled potatoes. Use a good quality paprika (de la Vera). The degree of spiciness is to taste.
- Accompaniments and presentation: revolconas potatoes are versatile and can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. They can be accompanied with some slices of fried chorizo or poached eggs (poached egg) to give them an extra touch of flavor.
- Season carefully: keep in mind that the bacon already adds salt to the dish, so it is best to taste before adding more salt. can also be added black pepper or nutmegto highlight the flavors.
follow me on Instagram (here)
See a related recipe at YouTube (click here)
Revolcona potatoes recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 200 g of smoked bacon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Nutmeg: 1 pinch
How to make tossed potatoes step by step
- Wash the potatoes and place them with their skins in a pot with water and salt. Cook them over medium heat until tender. (They can also be cooked without skin and cut into cubes)
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan until crisp. Remove excess fat.
- Once cooked, remove the potatoes from the water and peel them. Crush them with a fork or pound them in a mortar until they have a smooth texture like a puree.
- In the same pan where the bacon was cooked, add the minced garlic and paprika. Stir constantly for a few minutes until the flavors blend.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the pan along with the garlic and paprika. Mix all the ingredients well until obtaining a homogeneous preparation. Serve and incorporate the pieces of crispy bacon. Season to taste (note that the bacon is salty) Enjoy!