Welcome dears and darlings! At Paulina Cocina we love to visit different parts and traditions of the entire world, with delicious recipes, today in particular we are going to Japan with a brilliant teriyaki chicken recipe. Although it is a dish that has already traveled around the world and it is common to be able to eat it anywhere, fortunately.
What’s more, if you want to do it at home, we are going to tell you everything you need to do. the best teriyaki chicken because although the recipe is not complicated, the complexity of its flavors requires knowing what and how much to put. The flavor of this recipe is an amalgamation of sweet and sour and salty flavors, with a touch of umami. Umami in Japanese means tasty and is used to designate the flavor that enhances the others.
About teriyaki chicken
He Teriyaki chicken is a popular dish of Japanese cuisine that combines tender chicken breasts with an irresistible salsa teriyaki. This delicious preparation involves marinating chicken breasts in a mixture of soy sauce, sake or mirin, sugar, ginger and garlic, which infuses an amalgam of sweet and sour and salty flavors into the meat.
What is teriyaki chicken?
A very classic preparation where the breasts are marinated and then cooked in a hot pan until golden and juicy. The result is a chicken with a tender texture and a deeply satisfying flavor thanks to the combination of ingredients in teriyaki sauce.
The essence of chicken teriyaki lies in how the perfect balance is achieved between the components sweet, salty and umami of the sauce. Soy sauce provides rich saltiness and umami, while sake or mirin adds a subtle sweetness that combines with sugar to create an exquisite sweet and sour note.
He ginger and garlic contribute with their distinctive aroma and flavor, while the cooking process provides that characteristic shine, or “teri”to the surface of the chicken.
The term “teriyaki” comes from two Japanese words: “teri,” which refers to the shine or luster that the sauce acquires when cooked, and “yaki,” which means roasted or grilled.
5 important facts about teriyaki chicken
Although it is known throughout the world as a Japanese dish, the modern version differs a little from the original dish. The original Japanese recipe used fish, such as tuna, and did not incorporate sugar into the sauce.
- Global Popularity: It is one of the most popular Japanese dishes on restaurant menus outside of Japan. The combination of sweet and sour and salty flavors has resonated with many cultures and palates around the world.
- Influence on Hawaiian Cuisine: The Japanese community in Hawaii has influenced local cuisine, and chicken teriyaki has become a key component of Hawaiian cuisine. He “Chicken Katsu Plate” and the “Teriyaki Chicken Plate” are part of the typical Hawaiian food recipes.
- Traditional Presentation: In Japan, teriyaki chicken is often served on a platter along with rice and sometimes accompanied by vegetables or pickles.
- International Influence: The popularity of teriyaki chicken has led to its incorporation into other cuisines and cooking styles, fusing Japanese flavors with local influences.
- Balanced Nutrition: It can be a relatively healthy option if you use skinless chicken breast and the sauce is controlled in terms of sugar and sodium.
Although the basic recipe boiled down to chicken cooked in teriyaki sauce, there have been many creative adaptations over the years. From teriyaki chicken burgers to burritos, the teriyaki influence has spread to various culinary interpretations.
The unique flavor of chicken breasts with teriyaki sauce
He teriyaki chicken has a characteristic flavor which combines sweet, salty and umami elements. The salsa teriyaki It provides a balance of sweet and sour and salty flavors, with a note of sweetness from sugar and sake or mirin. The combination of soy sauce, ginger, and garlic also contributes to a complex and savory flavor profile.
Chicken cooked in teriyaki sauce takes on a shiny exterior and tender texture, while the sauce reduces to form a thick glaze that coats the meat. Taken together, the chicken breasts with teriyaki sauce They offer a harmonious blend of flavors that is both satisfying and delicious.
Ready, bye. I leave you with the best teriyaki chicken recipe you will ever try in your life.
Follow me on Instagram (here)
And on YouTube I upload new videos every week (click here)
Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Yield: 4 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake or mirin (rice wine)
- 2 large tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped green onion
How to make teriyaki chicken
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, sake or mirin, sugar, sesame oil, grated ginger and minced garlic to make the marinade.
- Cut the chicken breasts into desired size pieces and place in an airtight container or bag to seal.
- Pour half of the marinade over the chicken and reserve the other half. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, place the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes until cooked and golden.
- Pour the reserved marinade into the pan and stir everything together for a few minutes. Serve the teriyaki chicken hot, garnished with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion.