Welcome, human inhabitants of the world to this edition of Paulina Cocina where you will find a super easy and complete recipe to make homemade mexican nachoswith a list of options to accompany very complete.
Nachos are a delicious and versatile dish of Mexican cuisine. that can be enjoyed in many different ways: with cheese, meat, guacamole, or a combination of all of them.
Los nachos They are the definitive option to put together a delicious quick appetizer.
About the nachos recipe
Today’s recipe is a very typical and traditional dish of Mexican cuisine. It is prepared by frying or baking tortillas. They can then be eaten with cheese and other ingredients such as meat, guacamole, and sauces. They are often served as an appetizer or as a main dish.
Why are they called that?
The origin of the namenachos” is attributed to a man named Ignacio Anaya, who in 1940, worked as a cook in a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Mexico. One day, a group of customers arrived late at the restaurant and Anaya had nothing ready. So he whipped up a dish using fried corn tortillas, shredded cheese, and jalapeños. Anaya called these tortillas “Nacho’s especiales”, in honor of his nickname “Nacho”.. Over time, the name was shortened to “nachos” and the dish became a hit in the restaurant and later in other places around the world.
The most typical, nachos with cheese
The basic recipe for making cheese nachos is quite simple. First, cut corn tortillas into small, triangular pieces. Then, we will have to fry the tortillas in hot oil until they are golden and crispy. Finally, the fried tortillas are placed on a baking tray, covered with grated cheese and placed in the oven until the cheese melts.
What are the mexican nachos
mexican nachos are a traditional dish of Mexican cuisine that consists of fried or baked corn tortillas covered with cheese and other ingredients such as meat, guacamole and salsa.
Original Mexican nachos are often served with a variety of topping options such as meat, beans, guacamole, and salsa. One of the most popular combinations is nachos with meat and cheese, where beef or chicken is cooked and mixed with chili peppers, onion and spices. It is then placed on the fried tortillas and covered with grated cheese and taken to the oven to melt the cheese.
Note that there are many variations and additions that can be made to give this recipe a special touch. For example:
- Add different types of meat, such as chicken, pork, or ground beef, for a more intense flavor.
- Add vegetables such as corn, onion, pepper and tomato to give them a fresh touch.
- Add different types of cheese, such as cheddar, mozzarella, or Gouda cheese to give them a different flavor.
- Add different sauces, such as tomato sauce, chili sauce, or avocado sauce to give them a different flavor.
- Add spices such as chili powder, cumin or garlic to give them a more intense flavor.
- Add fresh fruits like mango, avocado, tomato to give them a fresh flavor.
- Add nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios to give them a crunchy flavor.
- Add sour cream, sour cream, yogurt, or cream for a creamy flavor.
- Add a variety of fresh herbs like cilantro, oregano, lemongrass, or thyme for a fresh flavor.
- Use different types of tortillas, such as flour tortillas or whole corn tortillas to give them a different flavor.
Nachos con guacamole
He guacamole is another popular topping for nachos and for our beloved Mexican tacos. It is made by mixing ripe avocado, onion, tomato, cilantro and lemon. This mixture is placed on the fried tortillas and covered with grated cheese before being baked.
I invite you to see 10 Mexican food recipes that you cannot miss!
What’s in the nachos?
Nachos are a traditional dish of Mexican cuisine that consists of fried or toasted corn tortillas. and topped with shredded cheese, jalapeños, beans, sour cream, guacamole, and other toppings. They are often served as an appetizer or light meal, but can also be a main dish. They are popular all over the world and can be found in many restaurants and fast food places.
What meat is used?
The most commonly used meat is minced beef or minced chicken meat.. However, other varieties of meat can also be used, such as pork or lamb meat. Some restaurants offer shrimp meat or fish meat options for the nachos. The meat is cooked before being added along with other ingredients such as grated cheese, jalapeños, beans, cream, guacamole, and other ingredients.
What is the difference between nachos and tortilla chips?
Nachos and tortilla chips are traditional dishes of Mexican cuisine that are based on corn tortillas, but they present differences in their preparation and presentation. Nachos are fried or toasted corn tortillas topped with grated cheese, jalapeños, beans, sour cream, guacamole, and other toppings, usually served as an appetizer or light meal. On the other hand, tortilla chips are raw or lightly toasted corn tortillas that are cut into squares and served with salsa or guacamole, generally used as a side dish or to dip into sauces.
Mexican Nachos Recipe
- Yield: 250 gr of nachos
- Total preparation time: 1 hr
Ingredients for the dough
- 80ml olive oil
- 150 gr of cornmeal
- 50 gr of wheat flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- Water amount needed (approx 160 ml)
- pinch of paprika optional
- Pinch of turmeric.
- optional garlic powder
How to make baked nachos at home
- Preheat the oven strong.
- Sift corn flour and wheat flour, place in a large bowl and knead a little. Add salt, pepper and optional paprika.
- Add a splash of olive oil and start adding hot water little by little, letting the flour absorb.
- Continue adding water little by little and kneading in the meantime, to get the nacho dough to become homogeneous. Knead until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands. Achieved, let the covered dough rest for 30 min.
- Stretch a parchment paper on a smooth surface and arrange the dough on top. Cover with another butter paper and stretch the dough with a rolling pin. Looking to stretch the dough and leave it as thin as possible.
- Achieved, lift the parchment paper and cut it in the form of triangles.
- Place the parchment paper with the cut nachos on a baking sheet. Take to freezer for 1 hr.
- After the time, put the plate in the strong and preheated oven. Brush the nachos on top with olive oil. Bake for 10/15 min.
- At this point they can also be fried. Place them in hot oil and when they are golden, place them on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Let cool and serve.
Options to accompany
- creamy avocado: Crush the avocado with a touch of olive and lemon or lime juice, season with salt and pepper, and reserve. In case you want to make guacamole add onion and tomato cut into cubes.
- pico de gallo: Cut onion and tomatoes into cubes. Mix in a container together with chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Add lime or lemon juice, mix and let rest while we prepare the rest of the preparations.
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce: mix cheddar with a touch of cream in a saucepan and melt.
- Chili con queso: in a pan cook the minced meat. Drain excess fat and add onion and garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix and cook a few more minutes. Add grated cheese and milk to the pan with the meat. Mix for 5 minutes.
- Hummus chickpea o de berenjena.